1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

In my experience, cereal has gone up a lot. And I heard it was because of ethanol.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So I hate speaking in generalities, because when you look at prices of things there are going to be a variety of factors affecting them. In general, prices have risen over the last century plus, and that general rise in prices has more to do with a central bank that has steadily increased the money supply (making each dollar worth less in purchasing power). But other things affect prices, mostly related to the unintended consequences of government meddling. Federally subsidized student loans, for example, have made it so that higher education costs have risen faster than general prices.

In the case of cereal (I assume you mean cold breakfast cereals), over the last decade +, prices actually have risen faster than most food prices. But it's due to changing market preferences. In recent years, people have been drinking less milk and "carbs" got demonized, and cereal demand dropped off compared to where it was when I was a kid, for example. Things like yogurt and protein bars (eat it on the car to the way to work) became more popular. And fast food chains really dug into that market by making it cheap enough, and convenient enough, for people to hit the drive-through in the morning. The result has been that almost every quarter Kellogg's, General Mills, etc. seem to be reporting shrinking sales in the cold cereal market. And when volumes are declining, the way a company often tries to combat it (to keep profits up) is by raising prices. I think that is mostly what has been going on with cold cereal.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Cold cereal was a staple of my childhood, but when my children were elementary and junior high age in the '90s, we seldom had it. The replacement foods Ragu cited weren't just more convenient, the kids liked them more. So the trend against cereal is a pretty old one.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Like a nurse's, but you also have to teach.

5. typefitter

I think she's exactly right, and history has and will prove her to be. Ask Neville Chamberlain's ridiculed corpse.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Its absolute insanity to encourage harrassing and disturbing the peace of these people, any people, in their off hours.

And the minute any protestor is arrested for such a display (as they would be for, say, treating Roger Goodell that way), there’s a built in “gestapo silencing people” thing for Twitter.

Great. Just great.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That restaurant will be toast within a month. And maybe it should be.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A lone restaurant owner is hardly the Gestapo "silencing" Sarah Huckabee.

On the other hand, the state exercising its monopoly on violence while arresting and silencing lawful protestors can absolutely be the Gestapo.

The power imbalance counts if we're going to accurately describe these things. They're not equivalent.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Don't even try to hide it.

12. typefitter

Is it insane that they receive praise and adulation in their off hours?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.