1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

OK. So they're better because every time the best team wins, right? Guess the Netherlands and Italy couldn't beat
    Panama, Saudi Arabia or any team in the WC.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I will say this much: If the U.S. had qualified with the kids they were playing post-elimination, I would be very much excited.

Gotta wait 4 more years, unfortunately, although qualifying for Qatar begins sooner than you think.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The US does still rank 30 spots higher than Panama in the FIFA rankings.

The US is out, and Panama in, because we crapped the bed last summer. But I don't believe they're actually better.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You realize that the Netherlands and Italy are not in CONCACAF, right? If they were, they'd be in the World Cup.

As it happens, the US and Panama are both in CONCACAF. The final round of qualifications was a 10 game series. Panama finished ahead of the US over a ten game stretch.

5. cjericho

They're not? Thought they were. So every time a team gets in it means they are better than every team that didn't get in.
    OK got it. This is as good as your posts on the Lonzo Ball thread.

6. PCLoadLetter

Why am I debating with a guy who can't read?

I would say if there's a ten game competition, there's a pretty good chance that the team that finishes higher is better, yes. And the US looked like ass in that tournament.

But hey, wave that flag, man.

7. cjericho

Not waving a flag big guy. Just said US should've won, had more talent than Panama. But guess Panama is much better.
    Why did they bother firing Klingsmann? How could he win when Panama was better.

8. PCLoadLetter

They fired Klinsmann because the team sucked with Klinsmann coaching.

They replaced him with Bruce Arena and lost to Trinidad and Tobago.

Next?

9. cjericho

But they had no chance to qualify because Panama was better. Obviously Mexico and Costa Rica are better than Panama.
    And Panama is better than the US so they shouldn't have blamed the coach.
    They should've listened to you and realized Panama was a better team and they weren't going to qualify.

Next

10. PCLoadLetter

Does this stuff seem coherent to you when you're typing it?

The US sucked enough to get their coach fired in the middle of the competition and you're using that as an argument in favor of the quality of the team?

11. cjericho

So they weren't playing up to their talent level?

Or is Panama more talented?

12. PCLoadLetter

I don't know if they were playing up to their talent level or not. I don't think there's much talent there. They lost to T&T after bringing in Arena, so it didn't help much.

Is Panama more talented? Probably, but not by much. Neither team has much talent at all. Good enough to qualify out of CONCACAF, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted