1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is everyone in the South obese?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jun 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Well, fuck. That's pretty accurate.

Before seeing the map, I was going to provide a detailed analysis started with a line from about Crystal River on the Gulf Coast, send it east so that it remains north of The Villages, captures Orlando's Seminole County suburbs, then take a hard right south just east of the UCF campus and trace I-4 until Plant City...

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I measure southiness by how many confederate monuments and civil war battlefields are in a state.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

How many handles does smallpotatoe’s photo editor have on this site?

Imma fixin to haul my overweight Southern carcass to work my last day of teacher work week at school. I’ll be wearing a polo, shorts and flip flops. Got a problem with it? Fuck off.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Northern Virginia exposes a flaw in this method.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The south starts at Fredericksburg, which is the ass end of NOVA.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... I don't know. I've always felt a distinct change when passing from Pennsylvania into Maryland myself. I think the line's further north than you believe.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maryland isn’t the South until you get past, say, Waldorf, or La Plata.

8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Plenty of Florida is Southern culturally. Just spend a little time in and around the corridor between Jacksonville and Tallahassee. Plenty of fat-asses there too.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The South is closer than you think. The Mason-Dixon line cuts through South Jersey.

10. Walkability of a city is probably more of a factor now than it was.
    I suspect fat folks over the age of 40, didn't plan on doing a lot of walking places to begin with.
    I live in a little city, with good ADA compliant sidewalks that allow to visit the downtown attractions and businesses. Older folks WILL NOT walk anywhere. Not a block. if they can't park right in front of where they are going, it's obvious we have a downtown parking problem.

11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

A good chunk of South Jersey is indeed geographically further south than the horizontal part of the Mason-Dixon line. However the line itself hits a right angle and heads due south along the western border of Delaware. Still, a lot of people in South Jersey have that ugly twangy mid-Atlantic accent that verges on Southern. The number of rednecks in South Jersey is actually an underappreciated phenomenon. I spent a couple years of my teens in South Jersey (they called it "Central Jersey" but there's really no such place. And if there is, it's Middlesex County -- it sure ain't the rural areas where Mercer, Ocean, Monmouth and Burlington counties converge. Absolute shit-ass places like Hightstown, Perrineville, Millstone, Crosswicks and New Egypt -- may as well be Mississippi. Awful part of our country. Truly. Or at least it was in the mid/late 1980s. And it just gets worse the further down you go. They can all go choke on their pork roll and scrapple.).

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You have very poor powers of observation.

Draft saved Draft deleted