1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Carbondale, Illinois

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Reporter

Description:

The Southern Illinoisan is seeking an enterprising, highly organized, motivated reporter to cover the prep sports beat in Southern Illinois.

This person first and foremost will be a storyteller, with a focus on finding interesting and innovative ways to tell those stories on our digital and print platforms. High school sports are a large part of our coverage, as we cover about 50 high schools, but the ideal candidate also will look for sports stories in the community that can attract a broader audience. You won't be bored. You'll be challenged to get to know your beat and then tell the stories that engage our readers.

The Southern Illinoisan, a 20,000-circulation paper, is located in Carbondale, Illinois, a college town with a lively art and music scene. The surrounding area is home to great outdoor recreation, wineries and a rural lifestyle. We are a short drive away from St. Louis, Memphis, Louisville and Nashville.

Please include three examples of your best work as part of your application.

The Southern Illinoisan is owned by Lee Enterprises, a nationwide media company. Our company offers a competitive compensation package, including comprehensive benefits.

We are a drug-free workplace, and all applicants considered for employment must pass a post-offer drug screen and background/MVR screening prior to commencing employment.

Apply Here

2. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Define short, because you're at least three hours and change from three of those cities. How far is Carbondale from Tahoe?

3. jla74m

jla74m Member

The previous sports reporter was fired after he called President Trump a "pig" on social media.

4. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 Member

That's actually incorrect. He wasn't fired for that. He was fired for attacking a local high school and saying how much he's protected their coaches and players. He deleted a bunch of tweets to that nature. He also personally attacked players and coaches who replied to his tweet about Trump. That's why he got fired.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Anyone screen shot those tweets? Should be on the Fun and Interesting Twitter thread.

6. ZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZ New Member

7. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 Member

I didn't get a screenshot of them, didn't even think about it. Figured the ax was coming for him after all he said. Wasn't a surprise when it did come. Sorry I didn't get any screenshots before he deleted the best tweets. There are still some semi-entertaining ones on his feed I think?

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I went to SIU and was part of a weekend road trip to Nashville, and we got there in about 2 1/2 hours by going 80 mph on I-24.

Unfortunately, those were the days of a 55 mph speed limit on the interstates, and the return trip took considerably longer because our driver was pulled over near Hopkinsville, Ky., and got a speeding ticket.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just wanted to thank all the coaches, athletic directors, athletes, parents and many supporters over the past 13 years. I was fired by The Southern Illinoisan. They never called me in to talk about it first. Nothing. HR director wouldn’t give me a specific reason why either.</p>&mdash; Prep Sports - Scott Mees (@SIprepsports) <a href="">June 12, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This made me laugh, claiming he didn't know why, or at least needing to be told why. If he didn’t know why, he’s too fucking stupid to have a job anyway.

Have a buddy who works there. Said he has been basically daring them to fire him for months. Said he was assigned to cover a HS football playoff game last fall and he told his boss, “When hell freezes over.”

Tweener and twinsfan1424 like this.
  10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's misused so often I struggle with it, but does this count as actual irony?

studthug12 and jr/shotglass like this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Obviously, not one to rest on his laurels.

twinsfan1424 likes this.
  12. pkm

pkm New Member

Not one to rest on his Yannys, either

Draft saved Draft deleted