1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

I figured with all the hot air in the West Wing, it would be warm in there.

2. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Of course many of the people defending him are total morons so...

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Here's a question, be honest, has anyone ever met someone who said "you know I would have had that job but for the illegal immigrant who got hired?" Yeah no.

Now the economist in me understands that the presence of lower paid illegal labor depresses the price of wages. But you know who has that responsibility? The employer willing to skirt the laws and hire illegals (you should see the construction industry payrolls; I do nearly every day) and the consumers who refuse to demand that their goods (and construction) be made by certified US laborers.

Illegal Mexicans are just being scapegoated, no different from the "Yellow Peril" of the turn of the century and the even earlier demands to ship out the European immigrants.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Happy to see daddy.

/starman

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I bow in your general direction.
    She could cut glass with those things.

Shelbyville Manhattan likes this.
  6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

To paraphrase Doug Stanhope, if a guy with no education, no connections, no credentials and no fluency in English can take the job you want, you are already fucked.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Fake news.

9. Neutral Corner

I agree. In a general sense they take jobs that others nearby won't. Stoop labor in the fields in Alabama is hellish. I'd have to be paid what two or three of these guys are even to consider it, and frankly I doubt that I could stand up to it physically. Same with places like Tyson's chicken, where they work the assembly line cutting up chickens. They get a lot of repetitive motion injuries as well as taking cuts and getting infections. There are some local white folks who will work that, mostly because it is not outside in the fields.

Business wants and needs cheap labor. It's just that these brown people won't just work the picking season and then go home, you know? They stubbornly want to stay here, where their life is so much better than at home.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

11. Neutral Corner

On the one year anniversary of Charlottesville.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

How did this happen?
    If it was some guy trying to be smug, wouldn't the thing have referenced "murder" instead of "manslaughter"? (Manslaughter is something to which you might plead in order to avoid murder convictions.) Why would anybody report a guilty plea had happened without checking?
    I might be inclined to believe something that said Manafort was "close to" a deal or "considering" an offer. But not this.
    ABC needs to explain this thoroughly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.