1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I was going to recommend "The Corrections". If you haven't gotten to them yet, earlier John Irving, especially "The World According to Garp", "Hotel New Hampshire" and "A Prayer for Owen Meany" would certainly fit the bill.

CD Boogie likes this.
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I will second this. Winslow's The Cartel is great too

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Not a novel, but long, smart, and absorbing describes Homicide by David Simon, in case you haven't read it.

4. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Wow, thanks for all these tips everyone, good stuff!

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Klay by Michael Chabon; The Road and also Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Won’t find better writing and storytelling in the English language, IMHO

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Kavalier and Klay is easily Chabon's best. I've got Nick Harkaway's "Gone-Away World" on my nightstand. It's knuckle-headed post-apocalyptic that doesn't take itself too seriously.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

"The Last Rhinos: My Battle to Save One of the World's Greatest Creatures" was the third, and last, conservation-related book written by Lawrence Anthony, and was just as good as the other two -- "Babylon's Ark" and "The Elephant Whisperer," which I posted about earlier on this thread.

A terrific, conversational writer, he draws you in with his passion, dry humor and obvious care for his subject matter. In this book, he chronicles his (ultimately failed) fight for the last 15 -- later found to actually be four -- surviving northern white rhinos in the wild.

On their behalf, he personally approached, in face-to-face meetings, the Lord's Resistance Army terrorist group in the Congo, gaining the trust of two of the most-wanted men in the world to get the group to become active, unlikely protectors of the rhinos being poached to extinction.

If his books are anything to go by, the author lived some life before dying of a heart attack in 2012.

Liut likes this.
  8. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

The Age of Ruth and Landis: The Economics of Baseball during the Roaring Twenties. 100 pages in, really informative thus far.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I need to stay away from this damn thread.

I just finished David Sedaris' new book and am about to dive into that Caddyshack book. I bought several Bourdain books to take on my upcoming beach trip.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of giving Bourdain's graphic novel a try.I've read all of his nonfiction. You can't go wrong with any of them, but you can definitely see a lot of growth as a writer from, say, "Kitchen Confidential" to "The Nasty Bits."

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

On vacation, got halfway through "Meet Me in the Bathroom: Rebirth and Rock and Roll in New York City, 2001-2011." Terrific oral history of the rise of 21st-century bands like the Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Interpol, LCD Soundsystem, etc. Does for that period what "Please Kill Me" did for the '70s punk scene.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted