1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Road to Omaha: 2018 College Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 1, 2018.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Saw some things I've never seen before in the Wash-CSF game ... with the game on the line.
    First one: Bottom of ninth, CSF up by one, Wash has runner on first and one out. Hit and run, batter swings and misses, sorta lunged toward the plate. Runner goes halfway and stops. Catcher throws to second and might have been hindered by the batter. Maybe not. They get the runner in a rundown and tag him out near first base. Ruling: Batter is out for interference, runner returns to first. The announcer said that if he had continued on to second and been tagged out, he would have been out (inning-ending double play), but since he was retreating to first, it removes the interference. Whew. I was trying to decide if I was CSF, would I prefer having the batter still up and the runner out, or having the batter out and the runner still on first. I think the former. Anyway, the guy on first eventually scored to tie and send it to the 10th.
    Second one: Wash runner on first, two outs. Two strikes on the batter. He swings and misses on a low, inside pitch in the dirt and it hits him on the back foot. It bounces away and he races to first. Swing at a pitch that hits you, it's a strike. But it happened on strike 3. Ball is usually dead on HBP, but he swung. Ruling: batter safe at first, runner safe at second. I'm thinking, just get the next guy out so this game won't end on controversy. Next guy struck out. Again, whew.
    Legit win for the Huskies as the Titans self-destructed in the last inning. First four batters produced two hits and two errors, officially. Should have been one hit and three errors. Could have been no hits and four errors.
    Some great baseball games Saturday and Sunday night.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

And all four Bracket 2 supers go to game three today.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'll take Tennessee Tech, Texas Tech, Arkansas and Auburn in the big upset.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Can I get a wager down on how many times ESPN will show that Hognoxious dude during tonight's SC-Arkansas game?

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

More annoying?......
    The Hog dude.
    The whistling person during Miss State-Vandy last night.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yum pure in Florida just missed a 2-2 cock shot with 2 outs.
    EDIT:
    Damn iphone.
    What in the blue hell is Yum pure
    Umpire.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think barring a pitching meltdown, Oregon State wins it. Seen some shoddy defense, and really poor fundamentals out of some of the other top seeds. I get the sense that they just roll the balls out in the SEC and tell the players to go get it.

Or not.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Walkoff 4 base error to get to the CWS.

ChrisLong likes this.
  9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Looks like you suckers quit on this thread too soon:

Batman likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Arkansas and Texas Tech are currently playing Game 8 of the College World Series. By my math, there has only been one -- the 4 1/2-hour marathon North Carolina and Oregon State played in Game 1 -- that has not been delayed or postponed because of bad weather.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

My son and his baseball team are going to games starting tomorrow. Co-worker lives in Omaha and says each morning, they woke up and wonder if they've been transported to Seattle.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I saw one of the ESPN analysts had to bail out due to the delays. I guess prior commitments he had to get back to or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted