1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida Times-Union votes to unionize

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jun 19, 2018.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It was Taps roundabout way of bashing the NFL in Jacksonville which has been there for 23 years and isn’t going anywhere.
    And BTW:
    https://www.bizjournals.com/jackson...s-the-nfl-in-new-season-ticket-sales.amp.html

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I like Jacksonville. Probably always will. Going back to visit next week, in fact. Great seven years there — lived in Avondale/Riverside, San Marco, Atlantic Beach, neighborhoods that would be appreciated just about everywhere.

Unfortunately, the daily newspaper woes are also familiar to just about everywhere, too.

playthrough likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Of course they lead the league in new season tickets sold. They had the most to sell.
    Also color me skeptical about near sellouts vs Steelers and Pats. Let's see how many visitors are in the stands before we proclaim success.

4. Donny in his element

The Bold New City of the SECessionist Nation.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

How many season tickets have the Jags sold?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Jags finished ahead of every NFL team in California, plus Pittsburgh, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Tampa Bay in attendance last year.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Loaded statement. The Chargers played in a 30,000-seat soccer stadium, Oakland's capacity is small with the tarped-off upper deck, Soldier Field has the smallest capacity outside of California and Cincinnati/Tampa Bay also are smaller than Jacksonville's stadium. Not to mention most of those teams stunk last year.

8. Donny in his element

Also, everyone knows Winn-Dixie buys all the leftovers. (/hottakefromblackoutdays)

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You forgot to explain Pittsburgh and those loyal, die-hard Steelers fans.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Hasn't happened in five years. Also, tarps are off. You guys keep advancing a narrative that simply isn't true. Seems as if accuracy goes to sj.com to die.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pittsburgh fans aren't all that when it comes to filling their building -- though I'm an angry Cincinnati fan so take that with a grain of salt. But it's true.

12. Donny in his element

It. Was. Sarcasm. (hence the closed tag referencing "hot take" from the days of blackout threats.)

My posting history makes it's pretty clear I'm pro-Jacksonville.

Draft saved Draft deleted