1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

$tanley Cup

If I'm Trotz, I hold out for something better or Seattle. Clearly, as we saw this year, you can win these days as an expansion team.
    Part of me is holding out hope for a kiss and make up but I'm now convinced the Caps planned it this way so they could say, "Hey, he quit."

On the same day my t-shirt arrives, the coach leaves.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Along that line, I was going to ask if the Caps still have a chance.

What if Ovi weighs in and says “Mr. Leonsis, we’d really like him back.”?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

During the Senate hearing with the inspector general from the Department of Justice yesterday, a reporter from the Washington Examiner was caught in the background reacting to Trotz's resignation.

She's wearing the white dress in the video, first reading it on her computer and then reaching for her phone.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Boudreau, Yeo and probably several others are hoping Trotz signs with the Islanders. If Trotz is still available once 2018-19 gets under way and a team belches early, watch out.

Vombatus likes this.
  5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

There's also talk that Trotz will wait until the season and until a poorly performing should be contender fires their coach and comes calling. Beats the hell out of taking over an also-ran or rebuilding project. Could very well end up with a TV gig with an out clause at the beginning of the season.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Of note, it appears the salary cap will rise from $75 million to at least $79 and possibly $80 million for next season.

Vombatus likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He's in the driver's seat, so he can sit back, if that is what makes most sense for him.

He didn't waste time, in getting out there, though, so I suspect he'd like to get things settled. Fans caught photos and tweeted them of him @ Newark Airport and Seattle Airport yesterday.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He spends summers in BC. It would be natural to fly to Seattle and fly to Kelowna from there.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The thought of Coach Trotz having a front office by the plums is delightful. He deserves a lot more respect than he has gotten from either club he's coached for in the NHL. I hope he gets a generous offer, preferably from Seattle.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think it was Japers Rink that brought up this point yesterday, re: Trotz. When the Leafs signed Babcock to a five-year deal, it was at the beginning of a window for a lot of big potential stars.

This Capitals team, as presently constituted, probably has two more legit runs in it. Maybe three. Trotz has never been the best coach for dealing with a younger team, much like Vigneault. So if you're starting a potential rebuild in year three of a five-year contract, is Trotz your guy? It's a legitimate thought that I hadn't had.

Wish Barry the best where ever he may end up. He'll always have a place in the hearts of Caps' fans for this year's run.

Vombatus and OscarMadison like this.
  11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Nashville developed some pretty good young guys with Trotz there. So did the Canucks with Vigneault. I hate these labels given to coaches.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's a fair point. Trotz did show a little reticence to play young guys before this year ... when his hand was essentially forced by the salary cap and roster situation. He pushed all the right buttons come playoff time.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted