1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed Werder doesn't like women helping women

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Jun 18, 2018.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don't know too many quick climbers in any industry who don't have an outsized ego.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

“Imagine the ego” of someone in journalism?

There’s a lot of it. All the way up, all the way down.

Tweener likes this.
  3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Imagine the ego of men who are actually not that great at journalism — but really good at networking — rising through the ranks and getting jobs they probably don't deserve. I see plenty of that. Way more than women, in fact.

lcjjdnh, BrendaStarr and Tweener like this.
  4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Do you know how many people got their jobs through luck, kissassery, or quotas? Every single person who has a better job than I do.

5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

The sad part of this whole thing is that, as bad as women and blacks, people of color etc think they have it when it comes to discrimination in this industry, gay people have it even worse. So many gays in this business get passed over way too often.

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

This strikes me as an important point, too. White Male A might not broadcast on Twitter that he's happy to help other white males apply for a job. But if he just asks his own friends if they're interested it may very well have that effect in practice--even though that's not his intent--simply because they're more likely to be white males.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Fascinating thread.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Welcome back, hoser!

[​IMG]

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah. He should be getting them to sing the National Anthem.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I may have done it wrong, but when I searched the Department of Education's IPEDS database for 2016-17, I came back with approximately 90,000 grads (first majors only) in what the government calls "Journalism, Communication and Related Fields." Of that total, 60,000 were women. This is far from perfect, of course. You can't assume that only grads in that field are qualified for journalism jobs. Nor can we know what constitutes "related fields." Can't tell if advertising, for example, is in that group or in Business.
    But it does suggest that the pool of qualified candidates is more than 12 percent female.

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I didn't grow up playing sports, and the only sports I love are the Olympics. I was a psychology major, but chose to be a sportswriter as a college freshman because it was fun. And it still is.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted