1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is everyone in the South obese?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jun 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Urban sprawl plus zoning statutes has made a lot of the South practically unwalkable. Look at how few Southern cities are on this list of top walkable cities ...

Most Walkable Cities in the United States, Canada, and Australia on Walk Score

DC (which is sorta, kinda a Southern city) scores highest and is 9th. Hialeah, FL, is 14th and Arlington, VA, is 16th. That's it for the top 20.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I’d hardly consider Arlington a southern city either

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's like everything else. It's about money. Raleigh isn't really a place where people walk to work or the grocery store, but the obesity rate is well below the North Carolina average. People there are educated and have money. Suburban housing developments have trails and soccer fields.

Donny in his element and maumann like this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Mostly, though.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Southerners walk all the time*

*Provided by "all the time" you mean solely to-and-from parking at the stadium on Saturday's, 7 times a year.

dirtybird and maumann like this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I would love to know what the woman who threw the shoe thought she was going to accomplish. Also why is it that whenever a fat guy buys pants/shorts it's always three to four sizes too big? Is he trying to pretend he's not as large or is he leaving the door open for expansion potential?

Fred siegle and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Go to a Dunkin Donuts anywhere in New England and tell me again the South has a corner on fat people.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I'd hardly count it as a city, too.

Miami was top 5 on walkable cities.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

A sports journalism message board is an odd place for a mob to come together ranting about obesity, IMO.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'd hardly consider Miami a Southern city.

Draft saved Draft deleted