1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Russia will be the first team to clinch a knockout berth if Uruguay beats or draws Saudi Arabia tomorrow.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Wouldn't Uruguay be the other if they win?

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Yes

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Incorrect. The US was knocked out in the round of 16, and only survived the group stage because of this exceedingly flukey own goal:

The US went 1-2-1 in 94, with the only win due to that own goal gift. Not a convincing example of a home country uprising.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I would hate to see what would happen to the Russian players if they don’t advance from their group at home. I’m thinking own goal Columbia from back in the day.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. Are the gulags still open?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Colombia.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Damnit.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Co-first team then.

10. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

With all the Atlanta United fans in the Palmetto State, wouldn’t be surprised if they could field a home grown Hex-caliber team at least. /Ruben

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You people really live in some kind of alternative universe.

We've gone from not expecting them to win a single point in the tournament to fearing for them if they don't finish in the top half of their group. In less than a week, no less.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting scenario... So, if Uruguay do as they should and beat Saudi Arabia tomorrow, both Russia and Uruguay are through. They'll then play each other in a game that will determine first and second in their group. If Group B does what it's supposed to do, they'll be matched up against Spain and Portugal. If it's obvious who's first and second in that group before the Group A finish, it will be interesting to see Russia and Uruguay exposing through their play who they want to play against next. I'm not sure who I'd rather play, given a choice between Spain and Portugal. I think Portugal is the obvious choice, but Ronaldo is such a crazy X factor.

EDIT: I have no idea if these ramblings make sense. I am high as a kite.

Draft saved Draft deleted