1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Father’s Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jun 17, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Many great dad’s that post here. Just wanted to wish you y’all a happy Father’s Day. Cheers!

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks - assuming I'm one of the folks you mean! Being a dad is BY FAR my greatest accomplishment. How a schlub like me raised two great kids is one of life's great mysteries.

Happy Fathers Day everyone

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Here is my dad holding my older brother and me a few months after I was born in '71.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.

35508709_10156415086649371_1238330932197326848_o.jpg

Webster, Dyno, ChrisLong and 3 others like this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I'm the best dad on sj.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

In the conversation, sure, but trailing at least one of us!

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Father’s Day is always strange for me. My father left us when I was 2 and he’s really tried to reconnect now that he is in the mid-winter of his years. I want to forgive, but at the same point I couldn’t imagine doing what he did. As a result, over the past few years, I’ve always been so on edge on Father’s Day, even though I pride myself on being a present and involved dad.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My natural father didn't abandon us but he might as well. He divorced my mom when I was 4 then was the kinda "dad" who left you not knowing whether he would show up or not when he said he would, so I have vague memories of being that kid waiting on the curb then being told "guess he's not coming." Then when I was 11 he had to go to a fed pen until I was 18. Thereafter, he never apologized and continued to act as if he could just come back to being my sister and my dad. Well that's not how it goes IMHO. He passed away recently and to that day I never made amends with him. Luckily, I've had a great step-dad for 45 years and am gave him a big hug and a kiss on Father's Day Sunday.

Webster likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Always had difficulty with Father's Day as well. Folks split when I was around 8 or 9, and while we'd visit a lot in my high school and college days, he hasn't really been part of my life, or my brother's life, since I got my first job in this racket. But, hell, not alone there. My uncle tells me he finally got a phone number on him a couple of years ago, called it, and is convinced did saw who it was on caller ID and let it go to voicemail.

Fuck it. He's missed a lot. His loss.

Webster likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

What I wouldn't give for one more day with my father.

Moderator1 likes this.
  12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

This was a tough Father's Day. My father is still alive and I was really glad to spend time with him, but I got the kick in the gut later in the day.

After our first round of IVF and getting the good early news that we were pregnant about a month ago with what would've been our first child, we misscarried late last week. While it's not anything like the loss of a child, it's still this gaping open wound for both of us as we ready ourselves to go through another round of this process.

As we exited the restaurant where we ate Sunday night, the woman from the restaurant holding the door just beams at me and blurts out "HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!" I don't know if it was me being a dad bodded man in his mid-30s with that thousand yard stare that parents start to get or what, but she decided I was a dad.

She must've seen both of our shoulders and faces drop because she instantly had a look of horror in her eyes. It was a tough drive home.

Draft saved Draft deleted