1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed Werder doesn't like women helping women

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Jun 18, 2018.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The fact is . . .

No gender knows how hard the "other" gender had to work to get where he/she is --- because they're not that gender --- so this "work twice as hard . . . " spiel I've been hearing is a number pulled out of thin air. Everyone's mileage varies.

In Fort Lauderdale many years ago we hired a 22-year-old straight out of college. She bypassed preps and community sports and went straight to covering the Rose Bowl a month after being hired.

I do know she was/is talented. I do NOT know how hard she worked to earn her quick rise.

She also was responsible for the single most embarrassing sports correction our paper ran during my quarter-century there. And shortly thereafter was hired by the Washington Post.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Ed, Ed, Ed... outside of breaking a Cowboys’ story, Twitter has no upside for you and only downside. Like this.

Never get into a Twitter battle. There is no payoff. It’s tossing a gun down a staircase every time you tweet.

Even if you may be correct. Just let people tweet and let others play “police”.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. exmediahack

Also why I, as a white guy, left sports for news when I was 30. Sat in too many hiring meetings where we would pass over young men with 3 or 4 years of on-air experience for young women who were just finishing up college or on their first year.

It’s not like this was to save money. The job paid peanuts for whomever we hired.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wait, did she tag Barstool hoping Barstool's Twitter Army would begin a Ratio War™ with Spain?

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If your paper printed that she attended the Rosé Bowl, that’s on your copy desk as much as it’s on her.

8. exmediahack

Katie Nolan laughs at this thread.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again, hmmm.

10. CD Boogie

And what are the percentages in journalism schools? The idea that minorities and women with equal resumes to white males aren’t getting a shot in journalism, of all freaking professions, is laughable.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Are minority students majoring in journalism?

Grady College’s Annual Survey of Journalism & Mass Communication Enrollments collects surveys from at least 458 universities about their college majors. Between 2000 and 2009, minorities accounted for approximately 24.2 percent of journalism or communications majors. While this number is not high, it’s still not as low as the number of minority journalists working in newsrooms today.

Are minority students graduating from journalism programs?

Using Grady College’s Annual Graduate Surveys, I then examined the demographics of bachelor’s degree recipients. Between 2004 and 2013, minorities accounted for approximately 21.4 percent of journalism or communications graduates. Again, while it is not a high number, it doesn’t explain the low number of minority journalists.

https://www.cjr.org/analysis/minority_journalists_newsrooms.php

12. CD Boogie

It's too early for me to be doing math. Is there a disconnect between the percentage of minority journalism graduates and the percentage of minority journalists who are in the profession?

Draft saved Draft deleted