1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Nunes is pushing for another IG investigation, and threatening to take a run at impeaching Rosenstein if he does not get one. It's over the text messages between a couple of FBI agents who were dismissive of Trump and said some disparaging things. Nunes is trying to spool that up into a full blown FBI conspiracy against Trump. Never mind that the one damaged by the FBI in the run-up to the election was Clinton while no one let out a peep about Trump being under investigation. God forbid a couple of people should have an opinion and talk about it in texts.

2. Neutral Corner

Given how things are going, with Manafort in the pokey and Cohen looking like he's going to flip, it would not surprise me in the least to see some sort of an attack on Rosenstein in the next week or two. The info they got from the raid on Cohen has to be making them sweat. Seventeen pages in his shredder have been put back together. There are supposed to be about 700 pages of stuff from the encrypted texts. The FBI has broken one of his Blackberrys and are working on another one. Even setting aside what might have been in the boxes and boxes of documents, that's got to scare hell out of Trump and his inner circle.

What scares me is that I've seen no sign that the R's will find a spine somewhere among them if Trump pulls his very own Saturday Night Massacre.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I think more likely will be the "Wednesday Morning Massacre." Trump will wait until the morning after the election: He will have lost the House for sure. But the Senate, while possibly losing that as well, will have 34 reliable GOP votes to prevent convention, giving him basically carte blanche for the next two years.

Trump will fire Rosenstein, Mueller, and anyone else who stands in his way at that point. He will dare the Dems to impeach him.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

She should tell Trump. He keeps saying it’s the law.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

At the Yalta Conference, Stalin said the top 50,000 leaders of the Nazi government should be executed. Churchill and Roosevelt thought he was joking. He wasn't. Maybe that threat is needed for today's Republican party. If somebody like Susan Collins thought she'd be wheeled in for the sodium pentathol cocktail, she might be more reluctant to be evil.

6. Neutral Corner

Do you really think that Trump will be able to restrain himself until November? I think that Mueller will do what Comey did not, and abide by the FBI norm of not taking any action during the months immediately before the election. I think that he'll make his major near term moves by the end of August to mid-September. I doubt that he drops any major indictments in October-November. Odds are that he's going to drop the hammer on his first wave of indictments within the next eight to ten weeks. If he does do so, Trump will lose his shit and lord knows what he'll do.

That said, I still think that someone will be going after Rosenstein soonish. There is an awful lot of pressure building, and restraint isn't in Trump's repertoire.

7. Neutral Corner

"Smuggling a child". Sessions is a piece of shit.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

At least if the Republicans lose the House they won’t be able to fuck with Social Security and Medicare.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When I read about the separation of the kids from the families, Trump’s nonsense excuse that he has to do it because that’s what the law says and the failure of politicians in his party to call him out, it just makes me depressed. The idiots have won and are carrying the day.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I actually do. I think that people in his corner (John Kelly, Sean Hannity et al) are telling him to sit tight and wait. He’s not on this year’s ballot and the backlash is baked-in. Once the election is over, the gloves come off.

11. Neutral Corner

I hope you're wrong. That might work. OTOH, his term as President is littered with the fallout from his being unable/refusing to do what his advisors told him was best, and he has fewer and fewer grow-ups hemming him in. Kelly's star is in descent. It depends on what Mueller has and who he indicts as well as the direct threat to Trump or Fredo/Ivanka. This is the same guy who had a carefully arranged cause to fire Comey and blurts out that he fired him "because of this Trump Russia thing" on camera.

12. Neutral Corner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.