1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tronc buys Virginian-Pilot for $34 million

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bud_Bundy, May 29, 2018.

1. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Can Tronc sell the office building of one of the papers? That would probably allow them to recover much of their investment.

Which is another way of saying the market for newspapers really sucks.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

4. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Pilot, I believe, owns its building. Daily Press left its long-time HQ a few years ago, sold it to a private company, now leases newsroom/ad space in a commercial development. Pilot owns its own printing building, Daily Press newspapers are printed in Richmond.

5. mb

mb Active Member

I’m fascinated, if only because I grew up reading the Pilot. Very interested to see how the inevitable consolidation works.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I will be interested to see what happens to the printing plant. Will Tronc move the printing of the Daily Press to the Pilot plant or close it and move all production to Richmond? The former would indicate some commitment to a local print product while the latter would indicate that Tronc is following a liquidation strategy.

Draft saved Draft deleted