1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

About half of The Godfather III.

Sophia Coppola might be a good director/producer, but, golly, she makes Ashley Judd look like Meryl Streep in comparison. I've never seen a worse actor than Coppola, and that includes the one-note teenagers that populated 1980s horror movies (Jamie Lee excepted).

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

And, of course, the makers of "Sesame Street" have sued the producers of the movie:

'Sesame Street' sues over new Melissa McCarthy puppet movie

What's the big deal? So the PI's a little careless with the silly string in his office.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

She’s a great director/producer but, yes, should not have been cast by her dad after Winona Ryder dropped out.

I’m not sure she’s much worse than Greta Gerwig though.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've read a story or two about the falling out of his longtime drummer Liberty DeVitto, who I like very much.

The settlement resolves what was an acrimonious split between Joel and DeVitto, who drummed for Joel's band from 1975 until 2005. When Rolling Stone asked Joel why DeVitto was no longer behind the kit in 2007, Joel reluctantly answered, "Let's put it this way . . . he knows why and I know why, and I'm going to leave it at that." (The New York Post speculated last year that DeVitto confronted Joel about his drinking before the singer entered rehab for his alcohol addiction in 2005.)

Billy Joel Settles Royalty Lawsuit With Former Drummer

He's pretty funny in this video.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Just saw Den of Thieves on streaming. Gerard Butler leads a squad of elite detectives against a gang of professional bank robbers in Los Angeles.

Basically it's a homage to Heat, well enough made so that it really doesn't deserve being called a rip-off. Butler gives the absolutely worst performance I've seen in a lead this year but it's enjoyable enough to watch when it comes on Netflix or wherever cheap.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Jumanji was fun. Jack Black was exceptional as Bethany. I thought changing it from a board game to a video game was going to be a lousy gimmick, but they played off that quite well.

7. The Hitman's Bodyguard. Ben Afflcek, SLJ and a little Gary Oldman...

1:30 minute shoot 'em up. It's something to fill the time with. Not sure I would even qualify it as passable.

Selma Hayek, though ... What a body!

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps you would have liked it better if you noticed that it was Ryan Reynolds, not Ben Affleck. :)

It's not a great movie by any measure, but worth a watch for free.

RonClements likes this.
  9. That's how forgettable it was! ;)

And what is up with Reynolds' pale lips? He looks like a vampire from Blade.

Yeah, glad I didn't pay for it.

10. outofplace

Well, he did play a former vampire who was somehow made human again in Blade III. At least I think that was the story. That movie was such a mess, it's hard to keep the story straight.

We did see it in the theater, though my wife and daughter chose that one.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I forget what Hannibal King's (Reynolds' character in Blade III) exact backstory was, but I did like Ryan Reynolds' portrayal of him. He played a wiseass with a death wish, to the point he literally wore a target on his back. If you go back and watch it, it's like his audition for Deadpool. Very similar character. When he was first connected to Deadpool, it was actually the role that made me think he could knock it out of the park.

12. outofplace

According to Reynolds, that was actually how he discovered Deadpool.

Reynolds Reveals How "Deadpool" Owes its Existence to "Blade: Trinity"

Draft saved Draft deleted