1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Danica's worst 500 finish before today was 22nd, when she got punted by Ryan Briscoe during a pit stop sequence (and then got fined $100,000 and placed on probation for "aggressive pit incident"). Her other six 500 starts resulted in top-10 finishes.

Today, she immediately began losing positions and it looked from her inboard cam that she was doing everything possible not to crash. And then she did.

It should have had pretty good odds at Vegas, if such a thing was on the board. A parlay with Bourdais, Castroneves and Kanaan would have been even better.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This is what drives me nuts during an IndyCar broadcast. The announcers tend to act like everything that happens is random. There's never any explanation or discussion of race strategy. I'm used to Formula One broadcasts, which tend to be 90 minute strategy debates. Coming from that to IndyCar, where the discussion never goes beyond "I wonder if anyone's gonna pit for some fresh Firestone Reds?" is maddening.

Huggy, franticscribe and maumann like this.
  3. maumann

Exactly. Jon Beekhuis said some teams could opt for a five-stop strategy instead of six, and they showed a graphic of how that might work in a PERFECT SCENARIO. But that was completely unrealistic, given the way 500-mile races work. Just like the stock market, you can't time the cautions at Indianapolis, and there's never been a caution-free 500. Instead, you had to have a flexible strategy that balanced fuel economy with tire wear and hope the yellows went your way, or split your options, the way multi-car teams do.

Why did Penske chose to put Newgarden on an alternative pit strategy? Why did guys deep in the field get off-sequence in order to gain track position? It almost worked for Servia and Wilson.
    Instead, it's the same old "football field a second," "understeer or oversteer," "working the tools inside the car" or "what was it like driving three decades ago, Scott and Eddie?"

Football announcers don't have to explain forward passes and first downs, and baseball announcers don't go into detail every game where the strike zone is (except for Angel Hernandez) or how to hold a bat or throw a ball, because it's assumed the majority of the audience has some point of reference.

Not ABC. They've got to re-explain racing basics every damn time, like no one's ever heard of it. "Hey, look! Drivers are married! And there's Danica's mom!"

Give viewers some credit for actually wanting to know more than cars going around in circles for three hours. Dig a little deeper into why decisions are made on the pit box and you might find people will turn on the channel instead of turning it off (or listening to the radio with the TV sound muted).

4. maumann

On the other hand, there is NOTHING interesting enough about strategy that could keep my attention for 400 laps at Charlotte tonight. Been there, got the paycheck, sat in traffic at 3 a.m.

The only thing that comes close is Pocono qualifying.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The Charlotte race truly is a test of faith.

maumann likes this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Bestwick asked Cheever after the race "how did it feel to actually win this 20 years ago?" and Cheever said something to the effect of "I don't even know." That about sums it up for their insights.

I don't doubt that Wilson and Harvey were running pretty dry with 4 to go, but no one could have at least wondered out loud why you don't stay out until the engine dies? When is Stefan Wilson going to lead the Indy 500 that late again?

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

Barely above freezing at Rockingham in late February, guy in next seat nudges me at the green flag and says, "Only 492 laps to go!" Yeah, buddy.

Keep preaching, Brother Quant.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I really wanted her to have a good day. Just be able to mix it up at the front a little. Instead, wow, that "Danica Double" was a spectacular bust.

maumann likes this.
  9. doctorquant

I’ve watched precisely one Charlotte (May) race from green to checker. I had a choice between watching it or continuing to visit with my in-laws.

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  10. doctorquant

Wait, you thought there was a punchline?

maumann likes this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The whole time Stefan Wilson was at the front the announcers were giving us "His brother Justin... blah blah... Fernando Alonso.. blah blah... organ donation.." and I'm thinking, what the hell is Stefan Wilson doing at the front of the field with 5 laps to go?

Then he pitted and it all made sense. Some comment from the announcers might have been nice. I'd prefer analysis over story now and then.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

- The latest NASCAR format is a grade-A stinker.

- F1 needs to take the electronics off the cars.

- Indy likewise, and do away with the engine rules.

Draft saved Draft deleted