1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 1, 2018.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time someone told me wrestling was fake......most times when people find our I'm a fan they make a joke about the John Cena memes.

I keep watching because its fun and its part of my routine. I get sucked into a hot crowd and I get that with NXT, most of the time. I run 40 minutes a day and I honestly have no idea how I would pass that time without wrestling podcasts. I also love watching people grow and that's a huge part of wrestling right now. Getting in on the ground floor with someone like Strowman or Rollins or Balor and seeing them because the face of the company is satisfying.....same with a guy like Patrick Clark.....when he's IT in 3 years I'm going to be glad I didn't skip his NXT stuff.

John B. Foster likes this.
  2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

WHAT THE HELL!!!1 I thought Hulkamania was the first one to body slam Andre the Giant.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll take "Classic wrestling characters who would cause an instant and utter shitstorm if they debuted today" for $800, Alex.

4. John B. Foster

That makes for an interesting question.

Lets hear your top 3-5.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

1. Kamala
    2. Lenny and Lodi
    3. G.I. Bro
    4. The Headshrinkers
    5. Junkyard Dog (because of the chains he wore to the ring)

6. John B. Foster

To add a couple:

- Cryme Tyme
    -Eugene
    -Virgil

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought of Cryme Tyme, but they were fairly recent and didn't seem to move the needle one way or the other. You might be right, though, which is hard to believe that they debuted within the past decade and our social meter has moved that much.

Slick and Akeem -- especially the transformation of One Man Gang into Akeem -- is another that would go over like a wet fart in church.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Just thinking....wasnt Sanity supposed to be going to smackdown? Did EY or one of the others get hurt or something?

9. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

With Eugene, I still wish they had pulled the heel turn six months in where he had revealed that his wrestling rain man thing was all an act. Have a moment where he buttons his jackal correctly and starts to cackle about how he put one over on everybody.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

1. Muhammad Hassan, who did actually cause a shitstorm.

2. Randy Savage as a heel with Elizabeth. Imagine the #metoo movement reacting to how he treated her.

3. Adrian Street

3A. Adrian Adonis: the LGBTQ movement would not be happy with them.

4. Eddy and Chavo Guerrero. Hispanics boasting of lying, cheating and stealing. Um, no.

5. Tracey Smothers/Dick Slater/Killer Karl Kox/Fabulous Freebirds: Imagine a wrestler waving a Confederate flag or having the initials of KKK today. Yep.

Hon. Mention: Roddy Piper who A. Insulted Mexicans in LA, then said he would apologize by playing the Mexican anthem on his bagpipes. He played La Cucaracha instead and nearly caused a riot. B. Shoved down Joyce Grable when she challenged a man to a match and ripped on the Equal Rights Movement. C. Painted himself half-black for his WM match with Bad News Brown. D. Whipped Mr.T with a belt.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  11. John B. Foster

Since we are on the subject, would Sgt Slaughter, the Iraqi Sympathiser be even more hated today? I think we all know about the death threats Slaughter received from playing that character.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When Seth Rollins throws Sunil Singh into an opponent, shouldn't that get him disqualified for using a foreign object?

Draft saved Draft deleted