1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conspiracy theories you believe in?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. From wiki...

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

James Janos/Jesse Ventura is on the case to help all you people. Make sure to watch for the television debut of:

http://tvdecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/30/jesse-ventura-to-investigate-conspiracy-theories-for-trutv/

He believes some of the stuff on this thread. He's perfect for this.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks ETOR.

4. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

Michael Jordan in fact did not want to retire prior to the 1993-1994 season. He had major gambling issues and David Stern knew it. He told him to take time off, get your gambling and its associated debts under control and come back in 18 months.

The murder of his father? Gambling related.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting development.

While his wife, the actress Cheryl Hines, waited in the car, Robert Kennedy Jr. met with Sirhan for three hours, he revealed to The Washington Post last week. It was the culmination of months of research by Kennedy into the assassination, including speaking with witnesses and reading the autopsy and police reports.

“I got to a place where I had to see Sirhan,” Kennedy said. He would not discuss the specifics of their conversation. But when it was over, Kennedy had joined those who believe there was a second gunman, and that it was not Sirhan who killed his father.

https://twitter.com/wplyndarobinson/status/1000331957493010432?s=21

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Quite a roll call on this almost-10-year-old thread.

Conspiracy theory: All of these posters left SJ.com and started another sports journalism message board ... ;)

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to Waylon Jennings?

FileNotFound and Slacker like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

East Coast Bias against the Pac-12.
    NBA referees reffing games to extend a series.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Had no idea Cheryl Hines is married to Robert Kennedy Jr.

10. albert777

albert777 Active Member

I generally take a dim view of conspiracy theories. I especially detest those surrounding 9/11 and I believe there is an as-yet undiscovered level of hell reserved for Sandy Hook "truthers".

But I do have one concerning JFK. I do not believe there is any way Oswald shot Kennedy. What convinced me was the first time I saw the unedited, uncensored Zapruder video. If you watch the fateful seconds closely, you see Kennedy's head slump forward, then immediately it is jerks upward and slightly to the left, and you can see the back of his head explode. Now, I'm not a physicist, but it doesn't take higher math to figure out that the "magic bullet" theory is insultingly stupid. A bullet that travels the distance that they claim that bullet traveled then passes through another human's arm doesn't double back on itself with anywhere near the velocity to cause the kind of damage that the fatal shot did to Kennedy's head. And the direction that Kennedy's head jerks at the moment of impact is directly opposite to the grassy knoll, where people have claimed to see someone with a high-powered rifle leaving the scene in the chaotic moments after the shooting.

So, who ordered the killing and who carried it out? My vote goes to Carlos Marcello, the one-time Mob ruler in New Orleans, and the target was Bobby Kennedy, who was in 1963 relentlessly bird-dogging Marcello. The Mob was already disgruntled with the Kennedys. They considered Old Joe Kennedy a fellow traveller from his bootlegging days and they believed their help in delivering Cook County for JFK in the 1960 election had earned them some slack. Instead, JFK made Bobby his Attorney General, and gave him tacit approval to go after the Mob. Bobby did so with a vengeance, holding public hearings and digging deep into their activities. Mob bosses in New York and L.A. were willing to hunker down and wait out the storm, but Marcello took it personally, and Bobby did appear to have a particular hard-on for Marcello. My thinking is Marcello finally called in enough markers to get the go-ahead for a hit on the president. The thinking was that they couldn't go after Bobby directly, but if they took out Jack, Bobby would soon follow, because the new president would be Lyndon Johnson, and it was public knowledge that Bobby and LBJ hated each other's guts.

Whether and how much involvement the CIA and/or Johnson had is debatable. It's possible the Mob had a connection inside the Johnson camp or in the CIA that made arrangements so that Kennedy's path would cross those of his assassins, ensuring that he would never leave Texas alive, and the fact is there was a lot of bar talk among veteran Texas media types of an assassination plot floating around the night of the 21st. The shooters probably came from Europe. A documentary I saw once made a pretty logical case of a sniper or snipers from France by way of Montreal who did the shooting. Oswald, as he insisted from the moment he was arrested until the moment he was shot, was a patsy, and the fact that his killer was Jack Ruby, who had known ties to Marcello, tends to support that theory.

Did the Mob also eliminate Bobby in 1968 when it was beginning to look like he'd win the White House in the '68 election? Maybe. It's possible the Mob thought of Bobby Kennedy as a loose end that needed to be kept out of the White House. To me, that is one of the great counterfactuals of the 20th century. If Bobby Kennedy is not killed when he was, I believe much of the violence at the Chicago Democratic convention does not happen, I think Kennedy would have won the nomination and would have beaten Nixon in the general election, and thus the entire course of the rest of the century would have been different.

I don't know if the public has ever been given or will ever have the full answers on what happened both on Nov. 22, 1963 and June 5, 1968, and that is one of many things I find sad about 20th-century history.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

12. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Super Bowl III was fixed.

And Area 51 has been closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.