1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoke up losers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 6, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Frank Kush would have wasted both of those Kushes on Mount Kush.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Thanks. One thing this all brings to mind is how my mother tried to find intensely flavored things he’d like during that time. Fresh pineapple was one of those things, and it was around their home a lot during those last months.

It never really occurred to me, but pineapple apparently wasn’t in my fruit rotation. I only realized that because, years later, an American Airlines pilot friend was doing a Hawaii route for a time and he brought us all some chocolate covered fresh pineapple chunks. I took one bite and almost broke down ... it was as if I’d been transported back in time to my father’s death watch.

Anyway, thanks. I shall now resume my posturing as a cynical misanthrope.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You should picture me eating at establishments where I:

A) don't have to cook
    2) don't have to pay much for calories
    iii) don't have to wash dishes

Tap water is an amazing resource at home, as is that sweet ambrosia called Diet Dr Pepper from fountains at restaurants!

I confess that I have, on occasion, plunged my head into a stream to get a drink.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

If you drink from the shower head, you have one fewer glass to wash every day. Or, umm, twice a week, whatever ...

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I got beat up when I posted links to medical journal articles about cannabis use, so I'll try to be better this go round...

The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) posted a health advisory today warning about life threatening bleeding with the use of synthetic cannabinoids. Since mid March 2018, there have been 202 reported cases of major bleeding, due to some synthetic extracts have been contaminated with long acting chemicals similar to the anticoagulation medicine Coumadin (warfarin).

Just another reminder that unless it comes from an FDA approved lab, there is no guarantee that what you're sold is what you get...and that holds true for nutritional supplements from major retail outlets like GNC, CVS, Walgreens and more.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pot smoking asshole couldn't get through a flight from SFO to LAX.

A Southwest Airlines jet that took off from San Francisco International Airport made an emergency landing in San Jose on Wednesday after a passenger was caught smoking in the plane's restroom, officials said.
    A passenger on the plane told NBC Bay Area a man was smoking in the plane's restroom, which triggered an alarm and caused the plane to divert to San Jose. Southwest later confirmed "a customer was allegedly smoking in the aft lavatory."

Passenger Edmund Lo said the man had boarded the jet in a wheelchair, but then got up and walked around. When the plane reached cruising altitude, the man went to the restroom, and moments later, the alarm sounded, Lo said.

When the man returned to his seat, he smelled like marijuana, Lo said.

Southwest Jet Out of SFO Makes Emergency Landing in San Jose

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

More than halfway into the story, after all of the alarmist anecdotes:
    'This is not to say that prohibition is a more attractive policy, or that legalization has proven to be a public-health disaster.
    “The big-picture view is that the vast majority of people who use cannabis are not going to be problematic users,” said Jolene Forman, an attorney at the Drug Policy Alliance. “They’re not going to have a cannabis-use disorder. They’re going to have a healthy relationship with it. And criminalization actually increases the harms related to cannabis, and so having a strictly regulated market where there can be limits on advertising, where only adults can purchase cannabis, and where you’re going to get a wide variety of products makes sense.”

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You know, it's like anything else.

I've smoked off and on during my adult life, and I've never found it to be addicting. I find it to be a once-in-a-while treat, and especially useful after a heavy night of drinking, since it alleviates many of the symptoms of a hangover. For a brief bit a few months back, I smoked a bit more, almost daily for a couple of weeks, but I got bored with it. And I also didn't like how spaced out it made me feel the next day. Definitely limit consumption to the weekends, and even then, just enough to get a nice buzz. No real interest in sitting around all day just smoking.

The biggest point in that story is how damn strong some of the strains have become. I haven't visited a dispensary (haven't been in the states that have them), so I have no idea how they're labeled. Is there a THC count on a package, like the ABV on a beer? I know damn well I can drink Coors Light all day and maintain a nice buzz, and I also know damn well that if I throw back five 8 percent IPAs in short order, it's going to kick my ass in a totally different way. But I'm not sure with weed, and I don't necessarily know what kind of buzz I'm getting from batch to batch. That's where it becomes a little dangerous to me.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Pot has become almost ridiculously strong. Twenty years ago I'd smoke a whole joint and not get as high as I get from two tokes today. Basically, any new strain, you take a puff or two max. See how it sits. You need more, you go a little more. You can always get more high. You can't get less high. That's my rule of thumb anymore. Because modern dispensary weed can wreck you.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is all true. When I was in high school and college, you bought an ounce, or more realistically, a bag. For my birthday last June, a friend gave me some that half-filled a mini-test tube, and I am not halfway down it. Score one for UC Davis and its ag research program!

Draft saved Draft deleted