1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy layoffs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 16, 2017.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The paper does not get the results of a UNC-Duke night game into the paper? What about the Hurricane?

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I can't speak for McClatchy, but Gannett posts everything online right away and pushes the digital-subscription model (aka a paywall). There would be UNC-Duke content for print, some kind of feature... maybe what was previously called an early? But gamers are essentially obsolete, even for papers that have late enough deadlines to take them.

3. LanceyHoward

I have no idea what the relative economics are I think that papers going to switch to having the post office deliver the paper. Papers could have a later deadline and just deliver to the mail facility early in the morning.

One problem that newspapers used to have is that their bulk made them expensive to mail. But papers have shrunk to the point where their postal rates have been reduced. And the Post Office would eliminate the problem of finding carriers. Newspapers could also have more relevant sports sections.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not everyone gets their mail delivered at the same time, though.

If a daily paper switched to postal delivery, its sports section would have to stress feature stories, columns, previews, etc., because anything from the previous night might not be seen in print until the mail is delivered in the afternoon. I realize we're talking about older readers who only look at print ... but who else reads newspapers these days?

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Sounds like the Hilton Head paper. After the golf writer was laid off -- and he was much better than deserved considering the pay -- the paper had no sports writers. Not sure if anyone was later hired.

6. LanceyHoward

I understand the drawbacks but at least a paper could include a game story. It would have to be written more as an analysis but at least you have something.

As the number of subscribers fall it becomes less economical to hire carriers. At some point I think the post office takes over.

I am curious, about how much does the weekly you mention charge for a subscription?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Tuesday's Modesto Bee has, for local content, two advancers, one sports-staff written (maybe turned in before all hell broke loose?) on the Section boys section team tournament, the other written by the editor in chief (a former sports guy) on the Modesto Nuts' homestand. But stay tuned ... baseball and softball playoffs and divisional track and field starts next week.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What kind of feature? Nobody wants to read crap the day after the game, they want reports on the game. Colleges do not hold news conferences the day of the game like the NBA do they? Then there's nothing to write to put in the newspaper that is not called CRAP and insulting to the reader who knows Duke played North Carolina and don't want some story on fans arriving for the game and their take on the rivalry.

9. HanSenSE

Confirmed. Of course, McClatchy will find someone who'll work more for less. Because that's what hapens in the industry today.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

11. HanSenSE

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe they should follow The Guardian's lead and end every story with this:

Draft saved Draft deleted