1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looks like a really interesting case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 23, 2018.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, and the lush who's buying a case of beer and four bottles of wine ... so I hear.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Also very cold.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

One bottle of alcohol will do it. Forget about quantity. The age verification process with the clerk in absentia is one of life's great frustrations.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

A McDonald's I visit sometimes has both kiosks and counter ordering. I just go to the counter as everyone else is pressing buttons.

And they should offer a double burger without cheese for less money. I noticed at In-N-Out a cheeseburger is about 60 cents more than a regular hamburger.

Another trick to watch for at McDonald's is that it's sometimes cheaper to order separately than as a combo. They are offering all sizes of drinks for $1, but I believe the combos come with a smaller drink that costs more if you break the items down individually.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This case is really resonating with people:

For at least 40 years I have been doing battle with fast food clerks and restaurant waitresses over the difference between hamburgers and cheeseburgers because I do not like cheese on my hamburger.

People who want cheese on their hamburgers should be forced to say, “I want a cheeseburger.” I should not be required to say, “I want a hamburger, no cheese,” or even answer a question such as, “Do you want cheese on your hamburger?”

No, I say, because if I wanted cheese I would have ordered a cheeseburger which is what you call a hamburger with cheese on it.

This semantic battle became outright war at a fast-food franchise one day when I was charged for a cheeseburger after ordering a hamburger with no cheese.

“Yes, you have to pay for the cheese because our hamburgers come with cheese,” I was told by a clerk who was rendered speechless when I asked if she would give me money for a diamond ring she did not request, and I planned never to give her.

I slowly explained that I ordered a hamburger and was now being told I had to pay for cheese that I was not getting.

“I’m sorry sir but you have to pay the same price because we sell hamburgers with cheese,” the clerk said, patiently explaining that I would not get any cheese on my burger and completely misunderstanding the point I was trying to make.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

still a sandwich tho

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If I order my steak medium rare, I should be charged less than the guy who orders his medium.

And don't get me started on them charging me the same price as everyone else when I ask for my margarita without salt on the rim ...

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The original:

[​IMG]

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

One of the places I'd very much like to visit some day.
    Of course, I haven't been in Connecticut since about 1990.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Interesting that same trip that included passing through Connecticut also featured the only time I've ever been threatened by someone with a gun.
    While purchasing drugs in Providence, RI.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I didn't realize pharmacists were packin' heat.

Draft saved Draft deleted