1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health Insurance Rant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Nov 7, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Glad to hear. Say hi for us.

Or, with three months off work, maybe he'll come around himself. Might not be a great idea for someone coming off of heart surgery though.

2. That's higher than I expected as well.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to imply that all hospitals were in the US. It's just always a bit of a shock when we go to the states and see ads for Cancer Centers of America and various hospitals.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When you consider taxes, even comparable salaries could mean a significant cut in take home pay for a Canadian doctor, I guess. Not sure how the hours compare, either.

5. Non-Profit and not-for-profit hospitals don't mean a thing in the US Healthcare system.
    They still pay employees, including CEOs, the same competitive wages and benefits as for-profit counterparts.

Its a all a shell game where everyone of consequence makes huge six-figure salaries with outrageous perks. And we pay for it.

Mr. Sluggo and HC like this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Should doctors not be well paid?

Do you know what it costs to become one?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'll largely stay out of this one, if only because I'd rather not be accused of being political. But I do wonder ... how many "for profit" entities have to be present in a patient's chain-of-care to make that patient's care to be of the "for profit" variety?

8. That's a tricky question ..
    Yes, they should be well-paid.
    Define well-paid ... more than $500,000? $300K a year?

Plus, perks: such as, a Chaffeured ride to and from the work (an hour each way)? Student loan repayment?
    How many other industries employ in-house recruiters?

Doctors, medical personnel and hospitals today, are well paid by a system that thrives/survives/feeds on government funding.
    Would they be as well-paid as if you could: Doc. shop? If there was socialized medicine? If all health care was self-pay?

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When you artificially guarantee more money is available to cover cost of service, you don't drive down cost of service; you drive it up.
    See higher ed. and health care industries.

Draft saved Draft deleted