1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in San Antonio

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, May 24, 2018.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Does anyone have details on what happened there the last couple of days? Based on some tweets, it looks like there were some big cutbacks in sports and news.

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

Yup. Big layoffs today in both sports and news.

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Who owns that once great newspaper? Who's gutting it?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hearst.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

At least one in sports:

7. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Also sports editor Jim Lefko, formerly of The Indianapolis Star and Lafayette Journal & Courier, among other stops:

I don’t speak to Jim often, but when I did he was always genuinely excited about the work the sports section produced, especially the significant resources it devoted to Spurs coverage on multiple platforms.

8. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Twenty-five years ago, San Antonio was a two-paper town. Now, the Express-News is a shell of itself. Now that Hearst owns the Chron and the Express-News, I can see a scenario where Hearst keeps gutting the S.A. paper to divert resources to the Chron when needed.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Lefko, keeping a good sense of humor, posted that he's been laid off twice in S.A. in 25 years, both by Hearst.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jim's a good dude and a damn good SE.

Matt Stephens likes this.
  11. Editude

Editude Active Member

An energizing couple of years here, before the tanker started listing. If an area growing this fast can't support the 2018 model of digital and print journalism, it's hard to stay which markets can.

12. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

What sort of growth is San Antonio getting, though? It's always been my impression that SA's median income was significantly worse than DFW, Houston, or Austin. Are high-income people moving in, or at least middle-income?

Draft saved Draft deleted