1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

At the market in our town, all of the employees are union including the cashiers. Who on balance are the worst to deal with in the store.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My recent hernia surgery was less painful than getting my disability pay.

I missed 13 days of work and my employer forced me to go on disability instead of letting me burn through my earned sick and vacation hours. Disability decided not to pay me anything, incorrectly stating my employer was (they paid the diffence between my salary and the state benefit). I had to appeal and finally got paid, two weeks later.

But instead of a check, EDD sent me the money on a debit card so I had to jump through a bunch more hoops to get the money transferred to my bank account and now I have to wait two more days to access it.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I think we've been out irked. This is from the May 8 "Hints from Heloise" column

Dear Heloise: My pet peeve is someone who has missed a belt loop. This can look sloppy. Guys, just take your time, know how many belt loops you have and make sure the belt makes it into all of them! — Dan E., via email

SpeedTchr likes this.
  4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Damn, and I thought I was petty. I'm happy to get my pants on the right way around every morning.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You know what I hate? When guys like Dan are missing teeth after getting punched in the mug for such comments.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Few things are as irksome as bad management. For instance, my new boss has no experience but got the job because of connections. He routinely criticizes subordinates in our weekly staff meetings and always gets basic facts wrong. Nothing he does is ever for the good of our organization, just himself. Even though we have a (well-paid) social media person, the boss insists on doing all that himself while neglecting the tasks that only he has the authority to undertake.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yesterday I got on the train for my commute and a guy was sitting in a five-seater on the aisle with a laptop open and his legs spread, and got visibly annoyed when I sat down in his makeshift living room. Then he proceeds to bite his nails and flick the clippings on the ground next to him and right in front of me. This is as revolting to me as people who would pick their nose in public. Just totally in his own world, no sense of public decency.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I love living next to an elementary school. The cheerful noises of children on the playground throughout the year bring a smile to my face.

Today, though, is hell on earth. It's 5th-grade party day to celebrate the end of school. Normally I would be happy to see all the kids having fun, but the nasty music being played ruins it all. I can forgive them for starting the party before 9 am, but it's unforgivable to blast out lyrics that should make adults blush.

If you see a story tomorrow about a DJ getting his ass kicked, you'll know approximately where I live.

9. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

When I see them coming I walk straight into them.

10. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Solo selfies.
    My reaction may be slightly stronger than irksome.
    I can't imagine why people think the world needs to see a picture of them in front of their bathroom mirror.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Selfie culture in general is a plague.

I was recently at the Trevi Fountain. It is a spectacular piece of art. There was a huge crowd around it. Probably a thousand people, and it's in a little square, so it was crowded. But I can't complain about tourists. I am one, too. HOWEVER, I would guess several hundred of the people had their back to the fountain, so that they could take pictures of themselves with it. I'm like, you're not even looking at it. And it was nighttime, so the flashes and screens really messed with the whole atmosphere. There was something about the whole scene that seemed sacrilegious.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It ought to be against the law for states to throw up toll booths on roads they didn't pay to build. Ohio, Indiana and Illinois (the three applicable states I visited this week), I hope you get swallowed up by a giant volcano and are never heard from again. Jeez, at least make it look like you put a few bucks on road improvements; when you pay a toll in Chicago, you ought to get a coupon for discounted shocks.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted