1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Force Awakens" (with SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Being in business with Donald Glover is a great thing. Hopefully there is a good movie idea, or there will be.

I don’t know much outside the flicks. Read the Zahn trilogy of books in the early 90s. I assume there is Lando backstory out there to draw from.

Definitely a character that can have a rich story. And seemingly the perfect actor for the role.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

There were some lando books back in the day. Mostly straight adventure stuff that didn’t give much of a back story to him.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Early speculation is the movie will delve into his pre-smuggling days and his work as a spokesman for the fermented milk drink Bantha 45.

5. Deskgrunt50

It works every time...

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Just caught Solo and very much enjoyed it. I thought the guy who played Lando channeled Billy Dee Williams better than the guy who played Han channeled Harrison Ford.

Went in with no expectations whatsoever and thought it was thoroughly entertaining.

Caught Clint Howard and I could have sworn I saw Ron, too.

heyabbott likes this.
  7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Damn, I missed Clint Howard. I thoroughly geeked out over Warwick Davis (aka one of the original Ewoks and Flitwick from Harry Potter) though.

I never thought I'd see the movie that made me go "Damn, I need to go back and rewatch Phantom Menace now." And yet, here we are.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Verified with some Easter egg info. It was Ron. The droid cage fighting scene - both of them.

9. Deskgrunt50

Though it was OK. Polished film. Lots of good action. Plenty of Easter eggs and call-backs.

The guy playing Solo was better than I thought he’d be. Woody Harrelson was really good. Same with Donald Glover and the actor who plays Chewie.

Not a bad heist film. Just something not quite “there.”

No spoilers for now. But I thnk there will definitely be another Han Solo movie or two. Set up the way. And now that the origin story is out if the way, there could be some better stories to tell.

10. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I thought it was good. Lot of Easter eggs...a lot of call backs. I thought Han was fine. Maybe a little too much Jason Bateman and Chris Pratt's Peter Quill, but overall, I think he held up okay.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The movie was fun and hit the right Star Wars notes. There were a few parts that I think they didn't earn the payoff. They hit a home run with the droid and the guy who played Han did better than I expected. Emilia Clarke continues to be meh in things not Game of Thrones but she was overall ok.

This doesn't rise to Rogue One level but it did Solo justice (and was still better than the prequels).

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. Deskgrunt50

Didn’t meet expectations at the box office, but still made an ass-load of money.

Most of what I’ve read has been positive. Wonder if it’ll have word-of-mouth legs.

Draft saved Draft deleted