1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Elon Musk channels Alex Jones.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The dip had another tweet in which he said he's going to start a rating website of journalists and call it "Pravda."

I am sure he's out lobbying for a government subsidy for the website. ... .maybe on the phone with the investment bankers as we speak to see if they can prime the pump, so he can raise a few billion dollars to burn on the website.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Musk is perplexed by the concept of a company attempting to earn revenue.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think he's also used to the kind of softball coverage he gets in tech-sector fanzines.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Howard Hughes at least had the dignity to go nuts in private.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wow.

Musk is thisclose to forcing me to switch sides -- I'll be signing up for Ragu's newsletter any minute now.

What a heel turn!

8. The Big Ragu

I accept bitcoin.

TigerVols likes this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Never underestimate the ratio of your audience that agrees you're a raging asshole. See also Layoffs, Uber.

10. The Big Ragu

FYI. ... People noticed that a "Pravda Corp." was registered last October in Delaware. The filing agent and the address listed are the same as the ones used on state filings for at least two other Musk entities: Neuralink Corp. and Boring Co.

He didn't just come up with the crap he tweeted yesterday. He's too calculating. He had in store waiting to pull it out when he knew he'd need to wage a media bashing campaign, because his BS act was being subjected to actual scrutiny. ... he's a con man.

Also, some of the coverage yesterday was about him becoming unhinged. I actually think the whole thing was calculated. As bad as some of us think he looked with those tweets, he knows that if the media stories about him and Tesla shift to coverage of his outrageous tweets. ... there are fewer media stories about Tesla, it's inability to meet any deadline he promised, the allegations of worker safety issues and abuse in his factory, the billions of dollars of cash he has incinerated as people bought the Hopium, the negative coverage of the Model 3, the Model S self-driving deaths. ... He was trying to shift the narrative from people doing honest scrutiny.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah you're probably right on this (see! I'm a convert!!!) but it's clearly an irrational business move...it's one thing to use media-bashing to attract MAGA-type, low-earning, low-educated people to your cause, but entirely different beast if you're trying to get dentists and accountants to give you $75K for a car or $750K for your stock.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Even amid all the negative coverage that Elon is ranting about, he still has his believers. Last week on CNBC I saw a hedge fund manager vigorously defend Tesla. Also, I read an article claiming that the delay with Model 3 production is a good thing because it pushes back which quarter Telsa buyers will lose the federal tax credit. The theory was if the 200,000th Tesla is sold early in the 3rd quarter, the credit remains in place for the rest of the quarter, so more cars will qualify than if it happened late in the 2nd.

I am guessing the hedge fund manager was trying to talk up the company to help his investment.

Draft saved Draft deleted