1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penalties for Kneeling Being Considered

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DMNHL, May 22, 2018.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never said the discussion had to focus on that. I was simply pointing out that YankeeFan was behaving like an asshole. Of course, this isn't new for me to see it, but it is nice to see him slip up and show it to the entire board.

I wasn't playing a game when I thanked him. I genuinely appreciate seeing something a bit more honest than what he usually shares on open threads.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, look. JC found a pile on which to jump. He must be so happy!

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is an intriguing deal you raise. Where does your state/employer stand if, for example, you criticize the state legislature's appropriations to the university? If you include in your argument research that meets academic standards, are you engaging in academic freedom or impermissible political speech? (Maybe that's a bad example. Is there a better one?)

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are an almost infinite number of ways the union can screw this up if they can somehow inspire a wee bit of solidarity among the members. What if a team by majority vote decides none of them comes out? What if players stand at attention and give it the Tommie Smith/John Carlos clenched fist? What if they go to the tunnel and then kneel short of the field?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You notice how this is the first response to that?

I'm going to propose it's because everyone is getting bored with this horseshit.

Yeah, YF can be off-base sometimes (just like myself), but he is basically a good person. I think you probably are too, but you seem to get a stiffie putting people down here.

(Hey, guys, did I spell "stiffie" right? I don't think about it that often.)

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Can I use my work email address ... hell, my work computer ... to engage in politicking? Can I use class time to advocate for some such policy or another?

I teach statistics. I teach quality management. I teach management science. I suppose I could wiggle some advocacy in there under the guise of academic freedom. But it’d be wrong ... and risky ... to do so.

I am of course free to participate in the political life of this country. But only insofar as it is absolutely clear I am doing it as a private citizen, not in my role as a government employee. Though there’s probably some room to maneuver ... and it’d be pretty unethical — not to mention ill-advised — to use that room to flout* the rules.

*Tag, @Azrael, you’re it.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wait till you’re in your mid-50s ... the idea that the word “stiffie” could be referring to anything other than an extra-strong cocktail will seem awfully far-fetched.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If you've got it - and you do - flaunt it.

doctorquant likes this.
  9. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

For anyone actually interested in this issue, here is a pretty good place to start.

Garcetti v. Ceballos, 547 US 410 - Supreme Court 2006 - Google Scholar

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Art Rooney has already said that raising a fist is the same as kneeling. Also locking arms, which some of the owners did last year.

I'm going to enjoy watching the NFL eat itself.

SnarkShark and Slacker like this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don’t think that kneeling is unpatriotic; I think it’s disrespectful and idiotic, as borne out by the fact the gesture has had no effect on anything other than the players’ employment.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, if 80 guys do it, what does the NFL do. For the first time ever, the union has a means of fighting back that doesn't involve a strike, a free gift from 32 horrible humans who'd make Adam Smith sign up with Che Guevara.

Slacker and heyabbott like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted