1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Philip Roth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, May 22, 2018.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Ms. Bloom says Mr. Roth forced her 18-year-old daughter by a previous marriage to move out of the house....because the girl's conversation ''bored'' him.

I work with 18-year-olds a lot. I'm not going to judge him on this one. If I could kick them out of my sphere, I would do so with a smile on my face.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LOL, that's going to be me, minus the talent and ex-wife.

Some were born to play the lone wolf though I never imagined I was one of them.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, and what were the circumstances with Bloom’s 18-year-old daughter? Why was she not in college or working? I honestly wouldn’t know Clare Bloom from Adam. If I’ve seen her in film, I’m not aware of it. Now Gore Vidal, there’s a shit-stirrer I miss.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

My family's circle was rooted in Newark's Weequahic (pronounced Week-wake) section and high school of the 30s and 40s, so I grew up knowing people who played softball, etc, with "Phil" Roth. Read my first novel, Portnoy's Complaint, at 11 and re-read through my teens, I can still tell you the best parts started on page 121. When I asked my Dad about the novel, he asserted Roth was "insane".

Songbird likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Have you seen "Best of Enemies", the documentary about the Gore Vidal - William F. Buckley debates? It's really very good.

6. CD Boogie

Yes, I have. Great viewing

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I was too young to catch it in real time. The '68 Democratic Convention was the first one I really watched much of... but that wasn't typical convention coverage, you know?. No way a twelve year old budding political junkie was watching those two guys debate, though. I knew very little about it till I saw the film. Very well done.

CD Boogie likes this.
  8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Off topic, but really like the golf course there except it’s a little tight—basically 18 holes crammed into a space intended for nine. Two of the holes tee off from the same box!

goalmouth likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

Keep it clean, Portnoy

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Started reading Portnoy's Complaint and the neuroses is high 30 pages in. The chapter 2 jerking off is quite fetching.

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

At this rate, it seems like we're about to lose the writers who remember the world before cable.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted