1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penalties for Kneeling Being Considered

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DMNHL, May 22, 2018.

1. DMNHL

DMNHL New Member

"One was how the league will handle players kneeling during the national anthem going forward. An idea being floated in the room goes like this: It would be up to the home team on whether both teams come out of the locker room for the anthem, and, should teams come out, 15-yard penalties could be assessed for kneeling."

Thoughts?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If both teams kneel, do penalties offset?

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That would be a very neat solution. It would also make some heads explode once they figured it out.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So the NFL is mulling joining the administration in its quest to run roughshod over the First Amendment?

Best solution is to just drop the anthem and start the game. Do you hear it at the start of a concert or play? Why are sports expected to be so patriotic?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Just continue to blackball the kneeling players and the problem will take care of itself.

6. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

How many yards would it be if the players actually flipped off the flag (instead of that being a figment of triggered right-wing snowflake imagination)?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You don't know what the First Amendment is.

8. HanSenSE

It protects free speech and the press. Or did they really screw up in my fifth-grade civics class?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They really screwed it up, I guess.

Unless the NFL has become a government agency.

cjericho likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes, at my city's symphony orchestra. Wife was refusing to stand years before Kaepernick made it fashionable.

11. HanSenSE

If there's a clause in the contract saying "thou shalt stand for the anthem," it's an issue, no? Oh, hell, not the first time I've been wrong here, if so.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Throw some Ukrainian peasants in the woodchipper, maybe?

cjericho likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted