1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Cancels Barstool Show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

To quote Paul Newman in Road to Perdition “Open your eyes! This is the life we chose, the life we lead. And there is only one guarantee: none of us will see heaven.”

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The reactionary nature of that piece bugs me.

“I don’t like that the Washington Post did a story about someone who works somewhere I don’t like so let me try for a huge takedown”

Seems...immature. Given the parties shouldnt be surprising I suppose

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

The piece was certainly a bit more nuanced than that.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Portnoy was also a gigantic, borderline harassing asshole to her. It’s understandable why she feels the way she does. What’s less obvious is why this is all worth writing about.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Thats basically my point....is Wags and/or Deadspin going to come for every associate of Portnoys that gets a shred of positive media or appears on the show? Whats the point?

Did people do that to the associates of the stains that used to run gawker and deadspin?

Big Circus likes this.
  7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I think this is the key point, which is worthy of discussion, particularly on a journalism message board.

SFIND likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What does this mean? Did she publicly identify an as-yet-unknown person? Did she violate some bounds of anonymity to which she had never agreed in the first place? Do people get to write and act however they want and be anonymous as long as they want to be?

I don't know how he was doxxed.

PaperClip529, Big Circus and lcjjdnh like this.
  9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Wagner makes some very fair points, the Stephen Colbert one being the best. But it’s hard for Deadspin to act as the moral authority in anything because they’ve trafficked in so much garbage in the years of its existence. Almost every scolding Deadspin piece requires total amnesia or willful ignorance of all that came before it. Part of what Deadspin has said in criticism of Barstool is: Even the 'good' Barstool person has to own all of the bad that came before him. Ok, well, not to go too deep into whataboutism, but like half the team that built gawker and deadspin was on the shitty media men list. This is still the company that burned Jen Sterger to publish Brett Favre's dick pic because "it was just too good of a story." Gawker and Deadspin have done so many bad things in the past, at what point is the new woke feminist part of it laundering the bad stuff on its request to respectability?

None of the criticism of PFT or Pardon My Take ever seems to be that it's bad. It's that it's good enough that it gives cover to the bad people.

So how much do you have to own what your employer does, and how much are you simply responsible for your own work?

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's a good question to which I don't have an answer right now.

I do kind of wonder if the joke is on her ... did they hire new woke feminist to help repair their reputation, or to just check off a box?

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Yawn. Howard Stern and Imus pioneered the radio shock genre. Another example of millenials thinking they invented everything.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

A major problem I had with the story is that Wagner never notes that PFT Commenter started on PFT and Twitter, worked for other sites before moving to Barstool, and always maintained his anonymity. At first, it seemed just like something overlooked, a minor point in telling the history, but leaving this fact out became obfuscation to impugn PFTC by the end.

Or he wants to maintain the character for the same reason he has always maintained it.

It also hurts her implied argument that PFTC is some creation of Barstool to deflect from its sexist bro attitude and that the irony is a self serving shield, not an honest criticism.

She knows where PFTC comes from. Her example of what if Colbert "had taken his "Stephen Colbert" character to Fox News" acknowledges it. Leaving it out shows she has an axe to grind and didn't want facts to get in the way. And it's a shame because I think she has a valid point and Barstool is garbage in general and much worse towards her, specifically.

Draft saved Draft deleted