1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a terrible confession to make

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Jan 11, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

My little town is allegedly getting one of these soon. I would use it, I think. I feel a little weird still in the coffee shop, even though I've never been here when there haven't been enough tables, and the staff is really nice to me. I also can't work at home. It is just too easy for me to find other things to do. I need the psychic break of "going to work."

Wrote more than 1,000 words in two hours today, by the way, to make up for missing yesterday with other work. 43,176.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Coffee shop? Me?

I have a home office with 200 inches of screens and multiple computers. If I could find a comfortable chair with a built-in shitter, I would never leave!

MisterCreosote likes this.
  3. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

You still use these?

[​IMG]

;)

4. SpeedTchr

I have a very large hard disk... heh heh heh

2TB, get your minds out of the gutter.

John B. Foster likes this.
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

In high school, I wrote a screenplay and saved it on one of those. I think the basic idea is decent, but as you can imagine would need a lot of fine tuning. Of course I don't own a computer capable with that kind of disk drive anymore.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have an office I have set foot in maybe 15 times over the last year. I am not even in the same city as it most of the time. Granted, what I am doing every day is very different from what you are doing, but I have home office setups that work really well for me, and I love it. It's one aspect of my work life that I love the most. Some days I am at work before the roosters are crowing. And a lot of hours, in general. But I always feel like I control my time and have a great degree of independence (which I love) because of how I work.

The lack of other people is actually a selling point for me. For one, I don't have your sunny and genial personality. And when I am working, I don't want other people bothering me. I have periods every day that requires extreme concentration -- things are fast moving. I want the solitude during those moments, in particular.

I'd guess the big problem for someone getting used to it, is the disciplining themselves. But I have worked on my own for so long (with interludes where I had no choice and had to be in office hell -- and I am always miserable) that it isn't a problem for me. I believe I work harder and more intensely this way.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  7. typefitter

Okay, this will come off meaner than I want, but I'm at the coffee shop, and the table next to me... Two diabetics are meeting with an Australian man who is some kind of naturopath. (He didn't order anything, which always pisses me off. You can't just sit here.) He's talking about glucose and "pancreatic fatigue" and he's spouting all sorts of made-up sounding bullshit, about how pharmaceutical companies want you on drugs, so they've rigged the eating system to keep people diabetic... And I'm sitting here... The two diabetics, a man and a woman, are both huge. Like, 300+. I am mindful of @Songbird and his progress from diabetic to non-diabetic or at least less diabetic through weight loss and exercise. These two don't have tired pancreases. They're too heavy. They must eat like absolute shit to be the size that they are. They should eat less shit. But instead they're paying some guy to fill them with hokum and blame for a system when they need to eat better and exercise more.

Thank Christ for headphones and Sufjan Stevens.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I got sick of it after like five years. I couldn’t imagine going back to it. It really was not good for me mentally or socially. When my ex would get home from work, I’d always want to go out to dinner or whatever just to get out of the house.

9. typefitter

The woman just said "adjusted enzymes" in the break between Mystery of Love and Visions of Gideon.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

#bloodsugar scores the last 5 days ...

May 18
    102: after breakfast
    110: after lunch
    102: after dinner

May 19
    122: after breakfast
    105: after a non-existent lunch
    98: after dinner

May 20
    122: after breakfast
    106: after lunch
    108: after dinner

May 21
    108: after breakfast
    116: after lunch
    103: after dinner

May 22
    113: after breakfast
    108: after lunch
    108: after dinner

May 23
    114: after breakfast

You've gotta wanna do it.

20180514_121417.jpg

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  11. SpeedTchr

I might be interested in Brian's handmade mugs.

12. typefitter

We have had our falling out, but I think you are doing amazingly well, and you should be very proud of your accomplishments here. You're stronger than most, sincerely. You've made yourself the best kind of titanic.

Draft saved Draft deleted