1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 1, 2018.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Oh, for fucks sake. Sami Zayn is one of the most over guys in wrestling, and this is the shit Vince gives him?

Tommy_Dreamer likes this.
  2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

What is this crap? What an awful segment with Zayn.

Tommy_Dreamer likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It'll be worth watching for the crowd reaction alone.

On another note, back in April they started advertising for a June house show in my town. The main event was Reigns vs. Joe. It has since been changed to Reigns vs. Jinder, with no other wrestlers or matches mentioned on the commercial. My interest has not exactly been piqued.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Agree. If fox is losing their Saturday night ufc shows I wonder if there's an opening to air takeovers or some kind of quarterly sat nights main event type specials in those slots. That would be massive

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I knew even before the start that it would be crap, so I essentially switched to baseball. I flipped it back a couple of times, just to see if it was still on and it still sucked. It was, and did.

When is Vince and Co. going to realize these segments only work when you have super-talented guys like Dwayne Johnson and Mick Foley?

Tommy_Dreamer and John B. Foster like this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Considering how goofy this feud has been, I really, really wish they'd had the balls to actually make Styles-Nakamura a pillow fight.
    They could've turned it on its head and had them come out with pillow cases filled with various blunt objects to make it a de facto hardcore match. Could've been great. But nope. Lame old last man standing match.
    We need a term for this sort of thing, when you want to see something awesomely new and different but are force fed a tired old concept that never seems to end well. I nominate "Getting Romaned."

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Eventually Styles and Nak have to blow off and that’ll be match of the year right? It is at money in the bank or saved for summerslam? And will anyone still care if its ppv match 5 between them?

Oh ya....Daniel Bryan vs Samoa Joe? Finally a reason to look forward to TV....

Baron Scicluna and Tommy_Dreamer like this.
  8. John B. Foster

Most of us have been wrestling fans for a while it seems. We all have heard “why do you watch it, it’s fake?”

Two questions:

1. What are your thoughts on people calling wrestling fake? Do you even bother answering that question anymore?

2. Why do you still watch?

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  9. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

1. I say scripted, not necessarily fake, because these guys/gals are athletes. They take risks/put their bodies on the line more than most "real" sports stars do. If they can't see that, then TBH they're dumb.

2. It still entertains me. Despite some of the really cringeworthy stuff WWE does, I look at ROH and see what fun wrestling can be.

John B. Foster likes this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

1. I tell themit's predetermined and that while they aren't real trying to hurt each other, that what they do really does hurt.

2. Because it's still fun, and, while the storylines can be frustrating, it still keeps my interest and sometimes, there are pleasant surprises.

John B. Foster likes this.
  11. John B. Foster

1. I show them the Hell in a Cell match between Mankind and Undertaker. If that doesn’t do it, then Angle vs. Shane, King of the Ring match

2. Agree with the two answers already. The WWE is still fun and I still mark out on occasion.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’d show Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi to anyone who says wrestling is “fake.”

Tommy_Dreamer and John B. Foster like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted