1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chase Utley: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 21, 2018.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Does Ragu ever make a HOF argument that doesn't come down to his memories of watching baseball as a 9-year-old in 1978?

I get it. I have my own biases, that are largely reflective of the same time, and same memories. I have a gut reaction to these threads, but it's interesting to hear he case for and against these guys.

And, considering advanced statistics, and the position played are a part of this.

(Hopefully this isn't too tough a criticism of Ragu.)

JC likes this.
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Should have just called Grich “scrappy” and Whitaker “athletic and lazy”.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If Pedro Gomez were here he’d start one.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Imagine that. Watching players informs my (and other people's) Hall of Fame biases.

Take Bobby Grich or Lou Whitaker.

I watched Joe Morgan, Rod Carew and Ryan Sandberg, each roughly coincide with big chunks of their careers. When all was said and done, there was little doubt to me (however old I was at the time) that each of THEM was a Hall of Famer. Sentimentality? Nope. I didn't particularly love any of them more than I did Bobby Grich or Lou Whitaker.

People were having Hall of Fame discussions about each of those players AT THE TIME. Bobby Grich and Lou Whitaker retired and were off the ballot in one year. Maybe they deserved a few years. Maybe not. But there is probably a reason for why they didn't get much support at the time.

If my sensibilities are 9-year-old sentimentality, it's uncanny how my sentimental biases coincide what the majority of people (including voters) seemed to be thinking.

5. YankeeFan

Because most Hall of Famers were so fucking good, even a 9-year-old can tell. It's not because you're some super baseball analyzing prodigy.

And, I remember Joe Morgan & Rod Carew from their playing days too, but let's not pretend you could watch them more than a time or two per month back when we were kids, and we had one or two national games per week.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There was something about Lou Whitaker that made him seem lazy, though. Some might even say shiftless.

JC likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

At least he never wore a slutty dress.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

He loved that 01 DBacks team.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Chase Utley is not a Hall of Famer. Very good. Not Hall.

If he sneaks in, he should have Ruben Tejada introduce him. And break his leg on the way to the podium with a dirty slide.

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

The red faced old baseball writers (ie. Joe Falls) on the Freep and the Snooze called it “nonchalant.”

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Should get in, writers won't put him in, veterans committee in 2043 will

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If Trammell is in, Whitaker is in too.

Does Utley have a famous infield pairing to cling to?

Draft saved Draft deleted