1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoke up losers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 6, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Chuckling. Only in New York ...

2. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Adverse Effects of Cannabis on Adolescent Brain Development: A Longitudinal Study | Cerebral Cortex | Oxford Academic
    https://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/S0006-3223(18)31257-5/fulltext
    https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/e548/568780389835de77da7512dfb8b6c5aca3b9.pdf

Just a little of the recent research discussing safety or lack thereof, related to marijuana use in adolescents.

Legalization will have to balance societal risk reward. Hope smarter minds learn from the alcohol experience.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's one of my biggest problems with the pro-legalization crowd. They're usually the same ones decrying the marketing tactics of "Big Tobacco" and trying to eradicate cigarette smoking because of its societal costs, while at the same time insisting marijuana smoke is some sort of benevolent substance that has no negative effects whatsoever.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Batman, have you ever smoked a joint and gotten high? @YankeeFan? @doctorquant?

I'm always interested in the opinions of those who oppose pot, but not if they haven't tried it.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  5. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Thanks for your contributions to the board, Doc. IMHO posting a link to a medical journal article written in "docspeak" is not informative, interesting or entertaining.

6. doctorquant

I don’t know where you got the idea that I “oppose” pot. I don’t partake, but that’s because it’s illegal. I don’t think it should be illegal (except for minors, etc.).

7. Slacker

Fair enough!

But have you ever tried it?

8. doctorquant

Sure. Only a handful of times, but I can see the allure.

As far as why I didn’t do it much when I was of the age ... Growing up there were the kids who, if they did anything, they got caught. I was one of those. Toilet paper some other kid’s yard? The police would be knocking on my door at 3 a.m. Try to float a check for a day? Overdrawn. So I just knew that if I smoked some I’d get caught and my life would be over (that was the if-you-get-caught narrative in my day).

Plus ... I liked beer an awfully lot.

If it’s ever legal, I’ll probably grow some. I grow too much basil, anyway.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Slacker

Cool, thanks. I'd vote for pot over alcohol anytime.

Nobody who tokes up beats his wife or kills others with a car like drinkers do. Also, cookies and cake taste even better!

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I have not. Not once. And I never will. I don't drink, either.
    How that disqualifies me from recognizing the dangers of using and abusing those products escapes me. That's like saying I can't cover a football team because I never played the game.

Besides, I'm willing to go with the flow on pot legalization. If states decide to legalize it and regulate its production and use -- while still criminalizing the bad things that come with abusing it, such as DUIs -- then whatever. It's the will of the people. I don't think there will be a law passed mandating that everyone toke up, so it doesn't affect me too much.

What's always annoyed me about the pro-legalization crowd is:
    1) How they never shut the fuck about it. Get one of them on the subject and it's like you've invited a Patchouli-smelling Jehovah's Witness into your home. For even more fun, cross thread the pro-pot discussion with one on the rules and limits of police searches. Those fuckers will talk until next November.
    2) Their inability to remember their own name half the time, but they can cite some obscure study from a grad student at Berkeley in 1957 detailing the benefits of daily marijuana usage.
    3) As I noted earlier, how they're usually the same folks who are trying to abolish cigarette smoking without once acknowledging that this other type of smoking is probably just as harmful.
    They're like Vegans, except with Hippie Lettuce instead of regular lettuce.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. Slacker

Fair enough. But your numbered points are bullshit.

Also, if you've never tried pot (or alcohol), you can't analyze it like you can a football game. It's not a visual study.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So I can't point out that alcoholism and DUIs are terrible side effects of using alcohol? Or that a lot of the effects of pot use seem to mirror those of alcohol, both short- and long-term?
    I'm not critiquing different strains of weed, or whether Craft Beer A is better than Craft Beer B. If that was the case, then fair enough. I'll turn down the job offer from High Times. I'm pointing out obvious facts.

Draft saved Draft deleted