1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sun-Times digs up Royko ... sorta

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, May 6, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Bronco77 likes this.
  3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes he would and Royko couldn't work in today's environment. He'd call newspapers out on all this bullshit and they wouldn't run his columns and he'd quit. Case closed.

4. We have a paper here that has been re-running a dead columnist's lifestyles contributions. For the last five years!

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not to mention how many newspapers still run Peanuts on the comics page. Schulz has been dead nearly two decades!

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It's Still Popular, Charlie Brown. (winks)

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Comics have a history of being passed down through artists and writers.

NPR has Car Talk episodes running and one of the brothers died years ago and stopped producing shows even before that.

Get Mike Barnicle to write some Royko columns. He has some experience doing it.

PCLoadLetter, HanSenSE and lcjjdnh like this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

It’s always weird when a pre-written obit has the byline of a person who also is dead.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

How about a "Godfather" remake with an Abe Vigoda hologram. Keep the man alive.

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I can only imagine what his reaction would have been to this:

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

tronc1: "We'll work with all the local markets to harness the power of our local journalism, feed it into a funnel, and then optimize it so that we reach the biggest global audience possible."

tronc2: "Also, machine learning!"

ROYKO: "You punks finish your milk and get outta here, and don't you ever fuckin' come back to the Billy Goat."

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Biggest one in recent memory, at least for me, is Bill Gallo's byline on the Muhammad Ali obit. Gallo died in 2011. Ali in 2016.

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted