1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy layoffs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 16, 2017.

1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

10 layoffs at The Star

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It's so predictable for these chains. Twice a year lay off about 10 people. You can do the math on how much money that means for the CEOs who in the winter need to buy snowmobiles and in the summer need to get the boats upgraded.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Among the larger papers Miami, Kansas City, Charlotte, Wichita, Columbia, the El Nuevo Herald, Lexington and Tacoma all saw more than 50% drops. The amazing paper is Ft. Worth that only saw about a five percent decline.

4. LanceyHoward

At Gatehouse Fortress, which manages the company, gets 10% so in this case the salary of one person.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Including a 38-year veteran of the place, I heard.

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

7. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

When I started in South Florida in the late '80s, I think the Herald's circulation was close to 100,000 in the southern half of Broward County alone.

8. LanceyHoward

I continue to think that at some point either Tronc will buy Miami and combine it with Ft. Lauderdale or Gatehouse will buy both and combine all three papers.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  9. LanceyHoward

In 2007 Fresno had daily circulation of 150,000. That is substantially higher than Sacramento as of 12/31/2017, which is the second biggest paper at McClatchy and has a circulation of 122,000.

Those were the days.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  10. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I was one of those laid off in June 2008 from the Sun Herald in Biloxi. Our staff at the Sun Herald had an SE, a Saints/GA writer, a preps writer, a columnist, a Southern Miss/outdoors guy and a sports copy editor, who ran the desk five nights a week. I was the desk guy.

Now the circulation has declined 46 percent and the sports staff is an army of one. Wow...just wow.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Instead of an asteroid striking the world of newspapers and killing all the dinosaurs, it's been a long, slow death by a thousand paper cuts.

Not sure which way is better. But they're both depressing as hell.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

From 2008:
    [​IMG]

"We're not interested in dying by 1,000 cuts," Zell said. "We're doing everything we can to make this downsizing happen as quickly and as painlessly as possible."

Tribune may be over worst

Draft saved Draft deleted