1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 19, 2018.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

@QYFW for the win

QYFW likes this.
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

@Tweener , not so much.

3. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

You don't think this year's QB crop is better?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Than Watson? No. But feel free to use this against me next year.

Having a few scotches and looking back is fun for an old man.

I’ll strategically leave my post out of it.

Also, I didn’t quote it properly, q was advocating for Watson.

Tweener likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Does deceptive speed mean white?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

@Neutral Corner care to reconsider?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Uh oh @poindexter looks like Goff is cashing a California public sector pension.

poindexter likes this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Then there was this beauty.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They took a third-round value in the first round. It was a bad pick. Even if he becomes a decent player, it was a bad pick.

I know that last part sounds counter-intuitive, but it does matter where you think a guy would have gone. To put it in Steelers fan perspective, think of the 1974 draft, arguably the best by any team in NFL history. The Steelers drafted four Hall of Famers. The old story goes that Chuck Noll loved John Stallworth and wanted to take him in the first round. Of course, Noll was right about Stallworth because he ended up in the Hall of Fame. But the scouts knew the Steelers could get him later, so they convinced Noll they should take Lynn Swann in the first round. They ended up getting both and had a pair of Hall of Fame receivers the rest of the decade.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don’t know, a third round value is in the eye of the beholder. There’s absolutely no guarantee he would have still been there in the third or even the second on the quick come around.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If I was running a draft, I'd maybe reach a little if there is a player I really like. Not commenting on Terrell Edmunds, because I have no clue where he should have gone. But if I legitimately think a guy is a third round type (i.e. -- there are dozens of players who are on most boards ahead of him), I wouldn't reach that much to get him because there is no guarantee he'll be available later. There will be other players available later. I hope they thought he really merited a late first round pick to grab him there (i.e. -- in terms of their needs, best players on the board). Otherwise, to me it's a bad pick. As an aside, it was weird seeing two Va. Tech picks going that high. Va. Tech usually dominates the 6th or 7th round.

I hope Baker Mayfield proves me wrong, but I would never have felt comfortable taking him with the first overall pick in the draft. NFL defenses are way better than what he was seeing in that conference, and even though he can't pick who he was playing against, from having watched a lot of his games, I don't think he's going to turn into a franchise type QB. I hope I am wrong, because I like him. I didn't love any of the QBs this year, but if I needed one, I guess it would have been Sam Darnold. He has his warts in terms of turning the ball over, bad footwork, etc. but I thought he had the best combination of polish and potential. I still am not sure he's going to be that good when all is said and done, but I understand why the Jets did it. Guess we'll see how hindsight treats it.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They always tell the stories about how a team was able to wait and get a top talent in a later round. Nobody seems so eager to talk about the times a team waited and the top talent was taken by somebody else.

Draft saved Draft deleted