1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Only one is any kind of sports fan at all, but not enough to go search anything out. He just watches what I or his friends send to him. So that aligns with what you're pointing out. But his friends who are bigger fans do watch highlights shows.

Searching individually is certainly an avenue. But it doesn't totally eliminate the demand for a highlights show.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How many hours of the day is a version of Sportscenter (on all espn networks) not on?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, my 20 year old is a huge NBA fan and I'm not sure he's ever watched Sportscenter or anything like it. He's constantly watching highlights and news conferences on his phone.

Lugnuts likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've become my parents. Old and out of it.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

What I miss are the days before SportsCenter gave away the outcome of a game before they played highlights. You can find highlights of games on the internet but it's tough to watch them without first learning how the game turned out. I've been out of the business for eight years and have to get up early to go to work. It would be nice to watch SportCenter in the morning on DVR and learn how that big game played out before learning the outcome.

6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

ESPN has nobody to blame but themselves for this mess they’re in. Not cord cutting, not viewership habits, not politics. Well actually a lot of politics, but the office politics variety. Too many chiefs, not enough Indians, and too much cheap labor. ESPN is no longer a destination job.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Do you still wake up to an alarm clock? I use my a cell phone. I switched only because I went to the drugstore to buy a clock radio and they did not carry them anymore. But that means when I wake up I can check scores that I am interested in. So I am going to know the score five minutes after I wake up. Which means I will not watch a highlight show to find out a score like I did 30 years ago.

I suspect that is true of lots of people who now wake up to their cell phone. That affects viewing habits even though no conscious decision was made to switch providers,

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I generally check scores on my phone in the morning, as well. It would be nice to be able to watch highlights of the big games, though, without knowing the outcome. Doesn't seem like an option anymore.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Being a radio talk show host in an SEC market is the easiest job in the world. You set the table for the first 5 minutes with what the local newspaper has written, and open the phone lines. A license to steal money.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted