1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racist "prom-posal"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 24, 2018.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I wasn’t talking about you, specifically.

I was addressing lakefront’s question about the word “bitch.” Quoted the wrong post in reply.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why do the lines in your posts break in such weird places?

I've always wondered that.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Now you've done it. BTEExpress's head just exploded.

Next, you'll tell us Ohio State University doesn't have THE before it.

lakefront likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So here's one example of what appears to me to be a rationalization of the behavior. If its over the top and you are sick of my reactions, I'm sorry. I'm just sick of the excuses for "jokes."

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

None of that clearly explains why it is different. "It just is!" does not qualify.

6. Dick Whitman

Hypothetical:

1. One kid is a dyed-in-the-wool racist. Casually drops the n-word at home and at school. Collects vintage lynching photos for fun. Will walk out of a restaurant if a black family comes in. He raises the sign in this story.

2. Second kid goes to a diverse high school. Has a diverse group of friends. They frequently raz each other about a lot of different things, from their clothes to the music they listen to their ethnicity. Kid genuinely doesn't have a "racist" cell in his body. He raises the sign in this story, as well.

Is it "rationalization of the behavior" to say that the motives of Kid 2 are a little more acceptable than the motives of Kid 1, while acknowledging that both showed poor judgment?

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The kid deserves whatever derision he gets for the racist slur.

Setting the blatantly racism aside, for a moment, the sign is still evidence that the kid is a dumbass.

First, the sign should read “If I WERE ...”

Second, picking cotton is an miserable job which no one does by choice, so because he’s not going to do that, he’ll have to endure taking some girl to the prom. Sort of the equivalent of saying, “If I had no education nor money, I’d be pumping septic tanks. But, because I’m a Florida suburban kid, I’ll be pumping you at the prom!”

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Donny in his element likes this.
  8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Yes it does.

9. Dick Whitman

The first bolded portion is not supported by the second bolded portion. This is the attitude that leads to three weeks of people screeching online about a goddamn lion.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

About the only suitable response after posting a photo of yourself holding the aforementioned sign would be, “I am very sorry. I was being a dumb ass.”

BurnsWhenIPee and lakefront like this.
  11. Dick Whitman

You are responding to an imaginary post.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My president calls black football players "son of a bitch".

Draft saved Draft deleted