1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That's not good news for Greg Bedard's site. He threw his own money into it... I hope he doesn't go broke.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Joe McDonald hasn't mentioned it and his Twitter profile still mentions BSJ, but Chad Finn tweeted the news yesterday.

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Joe Posnanski announces he’s going to be a regular contributor in addition to his work for MLB.com.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'd hoped to start a competing site (The Lethargic?) but it seems like we're pretty quickly running out of un-Athletic sportswriters to hire.

5. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

Bedard's site has 8,000 subscribers and counting. And it's all recurring revenue. And he's not blowing a lot of money on countless old newspaper guys like the Athletic is doing. I think he'll be fine.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Even assuming those 8,000 are paying monthly, that's less than $500,000 a year. Yearly subs are $36/year and he offers 3-year and lifetime subs. BSJ has beat writers traveling with the team. 8,000 subscribers isn't going to cut it. DK Sports reached 10,000 in less than 8 months and BSJ is coming up on 8 moths I believe.
    Joe McDonald has access to all this information and he chose to go to a competitor.

wicked likes this.
  7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The '27 Yankees wore mismatched uniforms in the team picture. I wasn't too impressed.

wicked likes this.
  8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I've got nothing here, except that Joey Mac is a rock solid dude and one of my favourite people in the biz.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Not a needle mover. The subscription drivers for Greg's site are his Patriots stuff, unique in the market and maybe in the country, and to some degree people that missed reading McAdam. Celtics and Bruins do not matter, revenue wise.

10. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Worst thing Boston Sports Journal did was put a counter on their site, from day one, showing how many subscriptions they currently have.

11. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

8,000 paying subscribers in eight months is really good. I doubt half the Athletic sites have done that well. McDonald probably took the job because of a salary bump. But BSJ is doing great. And, true, Bruins aren’t going to drive subs in Boston either way.

12. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

NBA has been a disaster for subscription sites. It’s why you don’t hear of anyone of note being hired to cover teams locally. WOJ gets every story anyway, and so no one clicks on anything local, save for maybe a Golden State or Philly

Draft saved Draft deleted