1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As one of those "hardcore" people, I would retort this way: There are some hardcore people still awake at 11 p.m.!

Webster likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm always the first one at the front door at 5 a.m. It's nice to have the run of machines that I like; some machines are better than others.

And I can pump the teevee volume up to 40 to hear Sportscenter.

3. Dick Whitman

I'm in my taper right now, which is always a strange place to be. It's odd to just sleep in because it's the right thing to do, especially with a sore hamstring that needs to get better in less than two weeks. I did run 15 miles on Saturday, at an 8:26 pace, which is around my normal long weekend run pace. It was uncomfortable - I wouldn't have tried to push the pace on it. Yesterday morning, we went on a two-hour hike. I could feel it, but it was fine. Today I didn't run or walk at all. Tomorrow I'm going to get up and do four really slow miles on the treadmill. I just want race day to get here. With me, the big fear is always packing on the pounds.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

How are you getting around if you’re not walking today?

5. Dick Whitman

Sorry, I mean walking as in sustained walking for exercise, like yesterday. I'm still walking to my car and to the can.

QYFW likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone got any quick remedies for a pinched nerve? I'm using heat and ice and putting a tennis ball under my back at the point of pain - but it seems kind of counterproductive since the point that the nerve is being pinched isn't where the pain is.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I find Aleve (naproxen) to be the best for things like that. Better than Tylenol or the other headache types of pain relievers. I also go through Mineral Ice like it is water. It's a pain-relieving gel that numbs muscle aches, strains, bruises. I mostly use it on my legs before I run. I have used it on pinched nerves. It helps a little, but it's not going to entirely stop the sharp pains when you move or twist your body the wrong way. Aleve might help with that.

8. Dick Whitman

Today I did eight miles, mostly around an 8:15 pace or so. The hamstring seemed to loosen up as the run went on, so I decided to near-redline the final mile. I did it in 6:22. My hamstring didn't explode, so that's good.

I am dying to get this week's miles under my belt, then basically just rest next week for Sunday.

9. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

A great physical therapist showed me how an issue (such as a pinched nerve) OVER HERE leads to pain OVER THERE. I think the term is referred pain.

Work on the over here ... strengthen/stretch that area instead of at the point where the pain is.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6 more days in the book: 415 minutes, 8,855 calories, 30.93 miles.

Last 10 weeks: 3,714 minutes, 86,885 calories, 285.66 miles.

I have been to the gym 188 out of 239 days since September 1.

Dick Whitman, exmediahack and QYFW like this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Eight miles this morning at a 7:46 pace. I have a 13-miler tomorrow that I am going to try to restrain to an 8:30 pace. Then two days off before a couple of tune-up runs mid-week. Main objectives now, nine days out: Keep the hamstring healthy. Don't get fat.

I was going to try to abstain for the next few days, but my kid had a late game last night (I'm a coach) that I had to have a stout just to come down a bit.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I fucked up my ankle this past weekend and couldn’t run more than a mile or so most of this week.

Then, yesterday, I decided to power through and got almost 5 miles in. Figured my ankle would be screaming today, but it’s as pain-free now as it was before I got hurt.

Weird.

Draft saved Draft deleted