1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racist "prom-posal"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 24, 2018.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One problem with the whole "joke that fell flat" defense is... that's not actually a joke. It's just racist. I mean, I guess he thought it was funny to do a blatantly racist prom-posal, but... welcome to the internet, kid.

He's pretty much getting what he asked for. Hope it was worth it.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I didn't know prom-posals were a thing. I asked out my prom date via a 15-second phone call and that was about the extent of our communication, prom itself included.

YankeeFan, Stoney and lcjjdnh like this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

High school kids are just as casually racist nowadays as they were in my day, both whites and blacks. But social media thankfully didn’t exist back then. This is gonna follow this kid throughout his life. Sad. But hey, at least she said yes.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    franticscribe and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

A nuanced discussion of race? Here? Don’t bother.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sterling was kicked out because he made the league look bad. The statements weren't worse. They were more public. The difference was not which thing was worse, it was which got more attention.

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Because...I NEVER ONCE MEAN TO SAY A GAY PERSON OR A MENTALLY CHALLENGED PERSON...they are words that to me do not have the meaning they do in public.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What do they mean to you?

lakefront likes this.
  9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You deserve all the humiliation coming if you invite the cameras while doing it in this attention-seeking way.

Damn glad promposals didn't exist in my day. I would've said "fuck prom" before ever doing something like this. It was terrifying enough asking by simple phone call.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    wicked and poindexter like this.
  10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

He's lucky it happened at Riverview High School in Sarasota...if he went to Booker High the reaction might have been a little rough.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Here's the problem with letting it go with the "Its just a joke" defense.

Guess what, you send that message, that's how people decide, "well that was okay before, I'll just keep saying it, no harm TO ME" then "hey you know what? I'll up the stakes a little." That's called socialization.

Did I say stuff about "retards" and "MRs (mentally retarded)" people when I was 10? Yes, but that was in the early 70's and guess what, society told me that was unacceptable and I changed. That's how its supposed to work, you push back and say that's not acceptable.

Once again, "its a joke"? Look to the very essence of that statement:

To whom? Only to the majority.
    Now what's funny? Its funny to the majority and its funny because they are making light of a minority, the repressed minority, not the majority.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Over sensitive? Maybe, but eradicating racism, even at the smallest levels, is more important IMHO.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

BTW, what's at issue is not saying "cotton-pickin mind" and not knowing where it came from, the kid's sign blatantly says "IF I WAS BLACK I WOULD BE PICKING COTTON...." At least face facts rather than try to minimize by changing what was said. There's no room for misinterpretation or "geez, didn't know this was racial."

Draft saved Draft deleted