1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Mike Francesa: The Most Loved (and Hated) Broadcaster in New York

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You can't predict angry wives, Suzyn.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Kay is very good, and his show is probably the best one in the market (I also like Joe & Evan, but Joe doesn't know much). Sterling is brutal on the broadcasts but his call in show is an unintentionally hilarious train wreck. I only heard a few minutes, but if it's on-line, it's worth finding.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As a Yankee fan living on the other side of the country, I find it maddening.
    The technology exists now that allows me to listen to Yankee games at work or in the car, but the broadcast is unlistenable.
    I simply cannot and will not do it.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Yankees are arguably the flagship team in U.S. professional sports.

It is mindboggling how you guys got to those announcers.

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have a radio team as bad as Sterling and Suzyn?

I was OK with Sterling when he had Steiner in the booth. But now it’s just a pair of dumb-dumbs. I don’t listen unless I have to.

Liut likes this.
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I've wondered that too. How has no producer called Sterling aside and told him that his home run calls are ridiculous?

These are the New York effing Yankees, not the Podunk Possums.

7. poindexter

I am pretty surprised that the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, a second-tier team in a very large market, employ Mark Gubicza as their tv color guy and pretty much the face of the Angels broadcast crew.

I think Gubicza sucks, but he is miles ahead of the dreck the Yankees employ.

Liut likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

the Red Sox team is pretty damn dull: dave o'brien and joe castiglione. I’ve been listening to Castiglione since 1985 though, so I find his inability to generate much excitement to actually be quite soothing. When it was him and Ken Coleman, holy shit you needed smelling salts to listen to a full 9.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Angels for many years have employed second-tier announcers. Terry Smith on the radio is just OK, as is TV pbp guy Victor Rojas. And the fact they put a mike in front of Jose Mota makes me wish they had someone the quality of Waldman.

10. poindexter

Mota treats the english language the same way Trump treats his marriage vows.

Smith is a human version of a sleeping pill.

I like Rojas.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

In the early days here, based on my fantasy team name, ChrisL got into a pissing match with me assuming that I was John sterling. I am not.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I've always enjoyed Charley Steiner's work.

Draft saved Draft deleted