1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Say Fred, hear the one about the Jew, the Catholic and the colored women who go golfing..."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 24, 2018.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If you get it in the hole in one shot, you’re not playing slow.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

TWSS

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You might think I'm kidding about the first tee warning, but I'm not. First round of the state amateur in 1990, I'm in one of the early foursomes, maybe the third or fourth group off. I am to tee off third. Modest-length par-5, reachable for most of us (I think I was about a 5 then), but with out-of-bounds on both sides. Guy leads off, slings one wide left and out-of-bounds. He reaches into his pocket, re-tees, goes through his routine (practice swing, address, etc.) and hits it into play. Second guy steps up, he pops one out-of-bounds. Same deal, digging out another ball, re-teeing, pre-shot routine, tee shot into play. Before I even get to put a tee into the ground, here comes the marshal telling us we're on the clock. I hardly get to line up. Fortunately, I'd seen all this unfolding so early on I put that driver away and pulled out the 5-iron. Made par ... one of few I made that day!

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What a mess. Fivesomes are never a good idea, unless it's five tour-level guys in carts who have to be someplace in three hours. At a public course on a Saturday morning, that's gonna go sour somehow. And then the racial part of it does no one any good. Golf needs this headline like NASCAR needs another story about rebel flags in the infield.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Golf course starters and rangers are notorious fucking hardoes. You can be safe in the assumption that almost all of them voted for Trump, and thus they hate black women and don’t want them on their beloved golf courses.

lakefront likes this.
  6. doctorquant

Oh, that's a crock of shit.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

So, fresh my memory. Would it have been Grady who asked Fred this?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The club now says the women were at fault.

Golf club called cops on 5 black women members, apologized, and now defends itself

Except, oops, the owner had already apologized.

Also: Steve Chronister was identified as the man in the video who stated to his son, “Back off, this is what she wants. This is what she does for a living,” speaking of the black woman who raised concerns about the encounter. I assume this is the head of the NAACP local chapter that he's referring to. She's an agitator, you know.

The course is owned by a husband and wife, and the husband's dad is the one who started all the trouble. Sounds like it's ripe for a Father-in-law From Hell thread.

9. doctorquant

Grumpy old farts bitching about slow play ... and about slow-playing women ... and about fivesomes ... and about fivesomes of slow-playing women ... and then having it turn into an ugly squabble is such a universal thing that this could have been in Iceland for all intents and purposes. Not saying it's certain that race didn't play a factor here, mind you ...

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

York was the inspiration for Live's song Shit Towne.

wicked and bigpern23 like this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A couple things here ...

1. Didn't know that particular golf course was doing so much business they can afford to boot people off the course. Every golf course owner or operator I know of would send a ranger out, say speed it up, pretty please, then forget about it.

2. It's a myth that women play slow. What they do is have more of a tendency then men to play by the rules. They're not raking 6-foot putts away or dropping nine club lengths away from hazards.

3. You'd think that after the Starbucks incident the owner of the golf course would have thought twice. Even if you're a prejudiced SOB, doesn't common sense prevail at least once in these situations and the person ready to call 911 stops and thinks, "this probably won't end well for me. The hell with it," and hangs up. Plus, can't the cops be the grown-ups? "What ... two guys have been sitting at the Starbucks for 10 minutes? They're not doing anything? Fuck that, we've got real crime to take care of." Or ... "What ... golfers are playing slow? Fuck that, we've got real crime to take care of."

Iron_chet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted