1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Athletic Hires

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by danielpaulling, Apr 22, 2018.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

First, congrats on your new job! It's awesome.

If / when, you can in the future, I hope you feel comfortable adding what you can on here. Not just from a good journalism standpoint, which most people on here are concerned with (they seem to be feasting on where the industry is right now to hire some very talented writers and editors). ... but also in a way that pieces together how they plan to monetize the capital they have been able to raise (and may continue to raise?). ... and if things are working out along the way in terms of what they projected during those capital raises (in terms of growth and income generation).

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thrilled for you, Moddy. And as a subscriber, I'm thrilled. Hope there's a bunch more editors in the hiring pipeline behind you; heaven knows there are a lot of good ones out there that could use a gig.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Will you be writing at all, especially when they open The Athletic DC?

4. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I’m glad they are starting to make inroads on having “copy editors”. That was one of my bigger concerns when they launched. I go back and forth on whether or not they should have went after writers without copy editors first but at least maybe it feels like they’re starting to go down that road and that potentially could be just as big for the product as the product itself seems to be becoming.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Congrats Moddy ... did Ella hold out for daily doggy treats and belly rubs in her deal? :D

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We work remotely so she's in heaven. And my full-time executive assistant.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I know I've spent a lot less time on the KC Star site after The Athletic hired Rustin Dodd.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

You gonna like working remote? I guess I might, but I like the team dynamic more. Might be some culture shock, etc.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've done it before, when I was at FanHouse, and I was able to work remotely some at SI. I'm fine with an office and the dynamic there and I'm fine with this, too.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Cool. Tough to give up the other gig, I bet, but I guess the future there looks pretty shaky. Nice move, and nice timing.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm not sure I'd go for The Athletic D.C., unless they plucked some of the key talent from the Post. Plus, another competitor has already emerged in that market (The Sports Capitol). I haven't subscribed, because while I like McNally, I still think Khurshudyan is the best Caps reporter and when the Post goes all-in like they do during the playoffs, I get all I need there. I also give zero effs about the Wiz and Nats, and increasingly, the Skins.

12. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

Lots of humdrum stuff to me. Don't see what all the fuss is about. The quality in different city sites varies wildly. Some sites don't have any new stories for a couple days or more. Zzzzzzz.

Draft saved Draft deleted