1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

This sounds like you are trying to deny your white supremacist roots. Not falling for it.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When did Shania go from "country singer now playing Vegas after a decade without a Top 10 single" to "pop diva?"

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nah, that’s accurate. Mick Jagger will be a “rock star” until the day he dies.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The State Dinner is tomorrow.

5. Inky_Wretch

Trump receives a thick briefing book every night, but nobody harbors the illusion that he reads it. Current and former officials told me that filling out a card is the best way to raise an issue with him in writing. Everything that needs to be conveyed to the President must be boiled down, the former staffer said, to “two or three points, with the syntactical complexity of ‘See Jane run.’ ”

McMaster and Commander | The New Yorker

tapintoamerica likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

That, I can see. But I don't see Shania as pop. Of course, I don't see Garth as pop either. He's just a country singer with a big show.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A two year residency at Caesar's is not the same as being reduced to a lounge act.

Her current tour has her playing arenas:

http://www.shaniatwain.com/tour

She was literally a headliner in VH1's "Divas", alongside Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Aretha Franklin, and Gloria Estefan.

Not sure how many top 10 singles her co-headliners have had in the last 10 years, but I don't think it would be out of line to call any of them a "pop diva", even in 2018.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's a real gray area. Jagger remains a "rock star" in large part because he represents a musical form that is becoming extinct. It's like calling Tony Bennett a "crooner." Pop and country have really melded and I think you'd have to take each act on a case by case basis. Opinions will differ, too. To me, an old fogie, the idea that Florida-Georgia Line is a country act is outrageous. But others disagree and since it's a matter of taste, why argue?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not a single citizen of the Russian Federation made Time's 100 Most Influential List.

Oh, well. Guess that's the end of that investigation. :)

10. Inky_Wretch

My real problem is the "pop" in "pop diva." I guess I'm showing my age by not knowing she was a pop - and not country - singer these days.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Issue No. 1: Shania Twain -- Pop Diva or 2nd-rate Lounge Act?

Morton Kondracke, you begin!

justgladtobehere and Iron_chet like this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Richard Nixon and Donald Trump both:
    --had a key staffer named H.R. who departed the administration before the president
    --fired someone investigating his administration
    --failed to win anywhere near a majority of the popular vote when they became president
    --had an electoral college victory much smaller than that of the last person in their party who won
    --had an electoral college victory much smaller than that of the person he replaced
    --followed eight years of the Dems holding the White House
    --defeated a candidate from the administration that held the White House on election day
    --both used the term "silent majority" to describe their voters
    --had a governor as a running mate
    --were not serving in elected office at the time of their election
    --hosted a state dinner for the French leader in the first half of their second year
    --ignored and minimized their original secretary of state
    --had a general as his WH chief of staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.