1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Gee, yes, those dots are impossible to connect.

This sounds snarkier than I mean: You're all right, Donny.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Ragu's was a good one. Think it was the baseball thread where I had to read everything twice to see if it was Manky or Ragu. It was like the mind trick pictures where
    you can't tell which line is longer.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Because he sold the breakup on a bullshit premise that they were doing it to build a good, young core of players capable of contending for a playoff berth -- when they already had a good, young core of players capable of contending for a playoff berth.
    They might have been a year or two away, but now they're at least five or six years away because the rebuilding process is starting over right when it should have been bearing fruit.
    Jeter and his cronies are also getting heat for doing this because this is at least the third time in their 25-year history that the Marlins have blown up a decent to great roster in favor of a long-term, cost-cutting rebuilding plan. In doing so, multiple owners have totally crapped on whatever fan support they start to generate and kill what should be a great baseball market.

As for your other point about teams having worse records than the Marlins, those teams were considerably worse than the Marlins last year as well. They probably weren't in a position to take the next step this year. The Marlins were. But Captain Fruit Basket and his buddies in the British Virgin Islands opted to sell off any players that could have allowed them to do that, mostly for pennies on the dollar.
    Fuck. Derek. Jeter.
    And I'm not even a Marlins fan!

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Marlins were going nowhere. The only difference is that they're more definitely going nowhere now.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They weakened the team for the sake of cutting salary. That is simply the truth. If they contend this year, but don't win the World Series, that was a significant mistake. If they don't contend, then it is just more of the same. Either way, it is the latest in a series of betrayals of the fans of Pittsburgh that goes back decades.

I can't bring myself to support the team I was a fan of as a kid any more, but I feel for those who still care. Of course, I'm not surprised to see you show a lack of empathy and understanding of those with experiences different from yours.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly, but again, some Yankee fans have trouble understanding things like this because it is something their team would never do.

Selling off Stanton was bad enough, but to keep going rather than try to build around guys like Yelich was a disgrace.

Batman likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And the Pirates are on pace to win 93 games, which would keep them well within contention of a wild card.

One more sign that it was a fantastic off-season for the Buccos.

Edit: In the last 6 years, 18 teams with 93 or fewer wins made the playoffs.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Dang it. You beat me to it. Gone in July to a contender.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't even believe he tried to beat him to the bag.

Especially considering he had just had to cover first on the previous play.

He beat Dee Gordon, the AL's stolen base leader, to first base on a grounder. Not only that, it was the second consecutive play on which Colon had to sprint (and, yes, we know we are taking liberties with the word here) to first to cover the bag. He also beat Ben Gamel to first on the preceding play to take a throw from Ronald Guzman. He then got Jean Segura to bounce to third to complete the fifth inning.

"The second one, it was hard with my weight and everything," Colon said through an interpreter. "It was kind of tough, but the good thing is, they were both outs."

Rangers lose again, but at least Bartolo Colon provided another moment for the ages

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That defies the laws of logic, physics and sloth.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

What Colon saw at first

n67ngye8oe9eatkqownu.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.