1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Avicii

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don’t understand what this guy did. At first I read he was a “DJ,” which means playing samples of other people’s music. But now I see he had actual hit songs? I’ve never heard of him, and I’m confused. Is he the guy who wears a big mouse helmet?

2. Dick Whitman

OK, I’ve heard that “Wake Me Up” song. He’s not singing, though, right?

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That’s Deadmau5.

4. Dick Whitman

Christ.

Sea Bass likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Wake Me Up is a great song. He wrote it and produced it, but the singer is Aloe Blacc

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Fuck, I like that song, too. I like all the songs mentioned on this thread. Am I...a bro?

Dick, Aloe Blacc is the singer on “Wake Me Up.” Same guy who sings that “I’m the Man” song from the Beats By Dre commercial with Colin Kaepernick that was inescapable a few years ago. The song that ripped off Elton John - “And you can tell everybody, go ahead and tell everybody...”

7. Dick Whitman

I know Elton John!

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Maybe if I heard it, I'd recognize it.

But, unless Rush Limbaugh used it as bumper music going into, or coming out of, a commercial, I probably missed it.

Fly and Donny in his element like this.
  9. Dick Whitman

I have no idea how it entered my orbit, either. But somehow it did. Probably played it at Sox games.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a recent thing, I guess. "Uptown Funk" is by Mark Ronson, not Bruno Mars.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And Get Lucky is by Daft Punk who do everything but sing.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I actually think it echoes more of the distant past of music in a way. Like it's always been a thing that studio musicians or songwriters would be crafting the songs for some of the bigger stars. Always been popular singer-songwriters too, but I don't think the DJ / studio acts that are popular now are as unique of a thing as some think.

Draft saved Draft deleted